If you are reading this, chances are you are (or were at one time) looking at a laser engraver to purchase. Like you, I went looking for an engraver that I could use to help me in my hobby, and possibly give me some options for creating a side business.

I wanted to cut up to 1/4" acrylic, 1/4" light ply, and other materials that I didn't know I wanted to cut/engrave at the time. I knew that I had no real need for cutting metal so a Co2 laser seemed to fit the bill.

After reading the forum here, ebay ads and various web sites I first learned that China makes LOTS of these things. There are plenty of options, but I had trouble finding any that had 1) A rep in the US that could answer my questions (The Redsail reps did a great job, however) 2) Gave me confidence that spare parts would be available, 3) Worked through a standard USB port and 4) Worked with off the shelf software (Not something the mfg developed).

I came upon an Ebay add for the SH350. It turns out the gentleman is importing these and reselling them - he and some of his co-workers have experience with SH Lasers larger (80W I think) units and had confidence that they are a reputable company. ** Before I go any farther in the review, I want to say that now that I am an owner of one of these laser engravers - I am also somewhat affiliated with them (www.machinaria.com). I believe so much in this unit that I helped them with their website, a couple videos on their site and some sample projects.

The unit is, per the mfg, a 40W unit. However to be conservative it is listed on the site as 35W. When they come to the US, the owner of Machinaria takes each one out of the box, sets it up and tests it fully before it goes out to any customers. That way you won't end up dissapointed when you receive it. As a result, you can have it up and working with in an hour from uncrating it. (Assuming you can install CorelDraw, which is included, and a few drivers).

Here are some of the features that I like so much about this unit:
1 - Price. It was in my price range as well as power range. (35W, $4250)
2 - Uses a standard USB port (I've looked at several which required a serial port or a proprietary card to be installed -- I use my laptop on this unit)
3 - It cuts/engraves from CorelDraw which is INCLUDED with the purchase of the engraver. It also supports cutting/engraving from Autocad.
4 - It is water cooled.
5 - I saw actual projects created from this (RC Airplanes that the owner cut with the unit).
6 - Air assist. Plug in your compressor and go! Or if you require Nitrogen or another gas for your cutting material, it will work fine. Just plug and go.
7 - Digital control panel 2 line LCD Display.

8 - Built in exhaust fan. (The built in exhaust fan is an added bonus! But for indoor applications you'll want to add an exhaust fan to ensure the exhaust goes completely out of your building - I use mine in my garage with the internal exhaust fan and it works fine).

I've owned the laser for about 4 months now and am VERY happy with it. It is easy to use and produces great results! I fly RC helicopters as a hobby and I've used it to create some specialized tools for flybar alignment. I also cut some parts to make some contraptions used by magicians -- a card thrower. And probly the most visually impressive is when you use it to engrave into materials. I've engraved anodized aluminum (it actually just removes the anodizing from where you engrave - Co2 lasers won't engrave metal), various stone material (Granite, Marble, etc), paper and plastic.

A couple weeks ago I was cleaning one of the mirrors and dropped it. And, yes it broke. I contacted Sergio at Machinaria and he sold me a replacement which I installed yesterday. So those that are concerned about spare parts if they should need them -- they are available.

They tell me they also have a rotary attachment available for this unit but I've not seen it so I can't comment on how it works.

The engraving area is 12 x 18 (Actually its a tad less, but a simple mod of rotating the air assist nozzle fixes that!).