Need Help! Need to Cut 20ga Stainless...?

Thread: Need to Cut 20ga Stainless...?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need to Cut 20ga Stainless...?

Let me start off by saying I'm new to lasers. I need to cut 20GA No.8 non-directional stainless steel with a thin 2 layer protective PVC film. I was hoping that it could be done with a 100W laser but from what I've read it looks like it need to be at least 200W...?

I've been looking at a Shop Sabre 100W laser setup but the $65K price tag isn't that appealing when I can get a 200W Synrad laser (just the laser) for $40K.

Another thing I was talking with Shop Sabre and they said if I needed to add "height control" it would add $15K to the price. Would the stainless warp enough to have to use a height control??

Is there anyone who has retrofitted a CNC router table with a equivalent laser?? I have a shop full of tools and am very DIY, just not electronically which might be my downfall in this situation.

Thank you for any help!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

100W might be doable, but it's going to be slow. A 200W will hep significantly... I imagine you'll get about 1/2" per second cut speed. Not a speed demon, but usable

Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, if you have 40k in your pocket, why not skip the 200 watt and buy this 400 watt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Synrad-Fires...2em118Q2el1247

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    100W might be doable, but it's going to be slow. A 200W will hep significantly... I imagine you'll get about 1/2" per second cut speed. Not a speed demon, but usable
    I guess it's better than nothing...
    Quote Originally Posted by KTP View Post
    Well, if you have 40k in your pocket, why not skip the 200 watt and buy this 400 watt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Synrad-Fires...2em118Q2el1247
    I'd love to just buy that but I wouldn't know how to get it setup on a CNC table.