Puzzle cutting is puzzling me

Thread: Puzzle cutting is puzzling me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Puzzle cutting is puzzling me

Hello everyone, I have a pinnacle M series laser and am currently trying to cut puzzles out of balsa wood. It cuts great, and the pieces look good, but the problem is that it is cutting the lines that connect two interior pieces of the puzzle twice. So it is leaving a larger scorch mark on those pieces. If I cut each individual piece seperate, they look and match well. But there has to be a way to make one cut, so that the pieces touching doesnt get hit twice. I have tried combining them, but did not help. I am using Corel X3, and also Flexi 8 software. Both will do the same thing, even after combining or welding. Didnt know if I had to cut each piece seperate, but it would be quicker and simpler to leave the puzzle together. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had similar problems that have made me think that there was a bug in the laser firmware (I'm using a ULS laser). However, I almost always find that there is a hidden duplicate line at that location in the drawing. One way to find these tough buggers is to open the Object Manager in Corel and just click down each entry looking for something that lights up the handles right under your problem. Delete it and see if the graphic stays or disappears. If it stays, the line was a duplicate. If it goes, redraw it and hope that fixes it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you have a double line in those areas, one on top of the other. You cannot see them on the screen but the laser sees them and cuts them both. I have CorelX3 but have not been using it with my Universal Laser so I am not sure of how to get rid of the extra line.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This solution would be a pain....but it would work. After all of your "pieces" are drawn, select your shape tool (F10). Use it to select one of your pieces that has the double cuts. Right-click on one of the nodes that is along the "double-cut" line then choose "Break Apart" from the pull-down menu. Now you can double-click on each offending node, on that line, to delete it. Keep doing this for each piece and it should work.
    If I have time, I'll play with it today and try to come up with a more elegant solution.
    Good luck.
    ClarkO

Downloads
    Uploads

If use Lasercut 5.0 You have TOOLS - DATA CHECK - CHECK OVERLAP tools and delete all overlap lines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Puzzle Software

Hi All

OK I have Corel draw 12 and a Laser and I do Puzzles but my puzzles dont seem to be as smoth and good looking as the ones you get at the stores.

Can any one recomend a puzzle software pacage that they use to make say a 12 or 50 100 200 250 piece puzzle.
    Thanks
    Karel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by karel View Post
    Hi All

OK I have Corel draw 12 and a Laser and I do Puzzles but my puzzles dont seem to be as smoth and good looking as the ones you get at the stores.

Can any one recomend a puzzle software pacage that they use to make say a 12 or 50 100 200 250 piece puzzle.
    Thanks
    Karel

I don't have software but did you see these Corel format jigsaw templates I posted awhile back? See post #3 here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50839

Resize them to suit your needs.

Skip

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Have a look at OberonPlace.com

Hi,

Have a look at Alex Vakulenko's Jigsaw Puzzle Creator at:

http://www.oberonplace.com/products/jigsaw/index.htm

-James

Quote Originally Posted by karel View Post
    Hi All

Thanks
    Karel

James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you have auto cad, export the corel file as a dxf or dwg. Open in cad & make sure your express tools are loaded. Type in overkill in the command bar & you can delete duplicate layers. Save the file & import the dxf or dwg back into Corel. If you dont have Cad, I would be happy to help out. Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

Just want to thank every one for the help

Regards
    Karel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I create my puzzles using the Corel X3 smartdraw tool. It will smooth out the bumps automatically, for the most part, leaving just a little cleanup to do manually.

To avoid the duplicate cutting I draw the pieces with lines between pieces, rather than shapes, as shown below. Note, for illustration purposes the 2nd (right) piece is not touching the first, but for cutting it has to butt up to it.
    Also, these are very simple shapes, normally they would be more puzzle-like!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puzzle cutting is puzzling me-1-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great tip Joe, thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Does any one know about the Ntc TLZ laser machines cutting performence??