Newbie laser module to a new cnc

Thread: laser module to a new cnc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default laser module to a new cnc

Hey Everyone ... sorry if my question has been answered before, i triede to do a serach.

I am a total newbie to cnc, i just bought a step-four ( basic 540 ) cnc machine, and i would like to change the router ( the engraving head / tool ) with a laser one. i am not interessted in some expensive CO2 laser og plasma, since i'am only cutting light materials as paper sheets, basla, and other thin materials. so i guess a laser diod ( powefull enough .. though ) can make the work .. am i right ?

What is your advice ? what kind of laser should i buy ? what about the laser modul, should i buy it or just connect the laser head to "router" ( tool ) module ?

sorry for such basal questions, but as i mentioned i am total new to cnc, and i will appreciate any help .. thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Diode lasers are a lot more difficult to use than CO2. The wavelength of operation is such that CO2 sees almost everything as opaque whereas the diode sees many colors and materials as transparent.
    I have tried both and finally added a CO2 head to my existing router. If you wish you can find more details of what I did here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/27.htm and here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/18.htm

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tweakie .. thanks for you replay, i see what do you mean .. i guess i hust been intimidated by the "complexicity" of the CO2 cutter, and its installation. And somehow encouraged by the cheap price of the Laser Diode. but i do understand the limitations and the weaker power of a laser diod.

do you have anyidea where i can buy a cheap CO2 burner/cutter kit, i dont really need an advance one, and in anyhow an expensive one, since it is for hobby and pure personal use ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is an open source CO2 laser cutter here...

www.buildlog.net

All parts are off the shelf, pulleys, belts, bearing, etc except a few custom precision parts which can all be laser cut. There will be a kit for those part within a few days or you can procure from another source.

Bart

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, my friend, nothing relating to lasers can really be regarded as being cheap. You do get what you pay for.

I think there is a big advantage to the approach suggested by Bart. He has already made the mistakes and found the solutions so you won't be wasting money on buying the wrong stuff or building ideas that just don't work.

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.