How to check Laser power supply?

Thread: How to check Laser power supply?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to check Laser power supply?

I have a Rabbit HX6090se that has not been used for a few months and was disconnected and stored. It was workring perfectly when stored but now the laser (about 12 months old) won't fire. CNC components work fine.

I have an extra laser tube that is 12 months old so I am not sure it is still OK. I want to check the power supply to the laser to rule that out as a problem before installing the tube. If it doesn't work, I don't want to order a power supply if I don't need it. How do I do this safely given the high voltage output?

Also, is there a way to determine if the control signals are being sent to the power supply using a multimeter?

I emailed Rabbit today. They answered me but I am still waiting for a detailed reponse from their tech guys.

Thanks in advance,
    David

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

David, if you want make sure your HV PS is working attach a neon sign tube to it and fire the laser, or if you have acsess to a HV probe then just check the HV leads directly,
    the signals at the PS should be around 5volt for laser PWM power controll and should be either ground for active low or 5v for active high laser enable, also the water pump circuit shoul be held low (some PS use high level for water flow)

regards

Eduardo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Eduardo, thanks for the reply and the info. I'm a bit red faced because the problem was I had connected the water supply backwards and the sensor was reading it as no flow and preventing the laser from firing. The relief is that after sitting for months, the laser is operating like it was when I left it.

Thanks again, David