Help Please? [Safety Concern]

Thread: Help Please? [Safety Concern]

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Help Please? [Safety Concern]

ok, im using rhino to make a guitar body and im thinking of having it cut out with a Versa Laser (only the outside frame of the body) Instead of going through all that annoying work just to mill it... Would it be a big hazard to have the laser cut though some wood that maybe well.. i dont know.. maybe 2 inches thick?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You will need 100 watts to cut 1" and I think maybe to passes, think thats better to do with a router..
    Luis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    You will need 100 watts to cut 1" and I think maybe to passes, think thats better to do with a router..
    Luis
    in not worried about the voltage or # of passes needed... im talking fire and/or anything possibly worse?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You will burn the wood , but I don't think you will get a big fire, I hve cut MDF, wood, paper etc, sometimes get a littlef fire but nothing big, the air nozzle helps to keep it out, here you will have to put all the power, then get a second air nozzle to blow it from the side. Any way you will get a lot of smoke.
    Other way is to put a wet piece of paper on top and cut thru it.
    Luis

Downloads
    Uploads

that sounds like a pretty good idea, never thought of wet paper... thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

maybe I am in the wrong forum or the wrong place 100 watts? never heard of one that small. the smallest I ever used was 1k but hey 2 inches is not gonna be a problem if your using at least 7.5 or maybe a 10 focus. When I cut wood I use Nitrogen as a shield gas so lots of smoke and little soot but no flames with 18 bars of Nitrogen.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpper-14 View Post
    maybe I am in the wrong forum or the wrong place 100 watts? never heard of one that small. the smallest I ever used was 1k but hey 2 inches is not gonna be a problem if your using at least 7.5 or maybe a 10 focus. When I cut wood I use Nitrogen as a shield gas so lots of smoke and little soot but no flames with 18 bars of Nitrogen.
    They start at 10 watts, mine's 45 and will cut 3/8" wood. Most lasers 100 watts and under are used mainly for commercial engraving.

Certain woods such as African Mahogany will not cut on a laser regardless of the power, they scorch and flame. I never tried it with nitrogen, though. I've also cut MDF and plywood though exterior glue plys like MDO take a lot more power or multiple passes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No Problem I am a operator that uses a 6k watt so I am not familiar with that small of a laser. however if your having flame problems shield gas is the way to go. it takes a lot to burn nitrogen. I have been cutting 3/4 inch, outdoor plywood for days on end. but I am hitting with 500 watts, some people in my field have used argon like is used with some welding supplies, it will act as a fire retardand to the beam. you seem to know some about these things where can I find a small one that will cut thin metals...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For metal you would need at least 100 watts, like these:

http://www.kernlasers.com/metal_cutting.htm

and this one sells CO2, Yag, and fiber lasers so can tell you which is best for your kind of work.

http://www.vy-tek.com/