Cleaning Laser Optics

Thread: Cleaning Laser Optics

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cleaning Laser Optics

here is a web page that may be useful for all the laser enthusiasts out there for proper care and cleaning methods for their laser systems

http://www.iiviinfrared.com/ttr_opticsclean.html

(formerly Laser Optics)

I also read somewhere that if the lens is really dirty but not scratched then you can wet a piece of absorbent paper with isopropyl alcohol or acetone and slowly drag it across the lens/optic without applying pressure to rid it of detritus.

Hope it helps you.
    Richard.

Similar Threads:
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To add a note,

This is a OEM supplier (for laser mirror and cutting lens) and of course you have to pay higher price for their products which is of a high quality.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok.
    But that was not the intention of showing this web site. It has to do with cleaning of the optics which can be related to all the optical components.

Downloads
    Uploads

The drag method with lens tissue is much preferred. I would never apply a moistened cottonball to dirty optic. Keep your optical grade acetone sealed as it draws moisture that will leave water spots due to the different evporation rate. Never re-drag an optical surface with a used lens tissue surface, always use a new surface to avoid re-contamination.

Cotton balls, even medical grade may have a small % of cotton seed fragments in them, as well as residual cotton seed oil.

Optics are important to laser processing. Imagine someone licking your safety glasses and you having to wear them like that.

Brian
    www.precolaser.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I think that I would have preferred the drag method myself as it just sounds less abrasive and only uses surface tension for the mechanical effect. I don't think I would rub anything that is supposed to be a lens surface.
    I have always used a blower brush on my cameras and they have never been dirty enough to warrant a wash with anything and I have always chosen the expensive Squirrel haired brushes and not the man made fiber ones.