40 watt tube on a 100w Power supply

Thread: 40 watt tube on a 100w Power supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 40 watt tube on a 100w Power supply

Yes possibly a silly question but unless you ask you don’t know. I have a 100w Lazer that’s going to be spare soon so I was just going to put a 40w tube in it without replacing the Power Supply and use it just for engraving.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 40 watt tube on a 100w Power supply

Quote Originally Posted by KenR60 View Post
    Yes possibly a silly question but unless you ask you don’t know. I have a 100w Lazer that’s going to be spare soon so I was just going to put a 40w tube in it without replacing the Power Supply and use it just for engraving.
    Do not do it. You will destroy laser soon.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have specifications on your current power supply? Specifically trigger voltage and mA ratings? It would be risky, but if the 40w tube specifications and the power supply voltage are compatible, then you could drive the lower power tube from the higher power supply. BUT you loose fine control over the power because you'd be confined to using a much narrower band of the total useable mA range and you'd loose fine control over greyscale raster images and the like. And of course you have a power supply that could easily damage your tube. You'd also need a mA meter so you can monitor the tube power. So technically yes, practically I wouldn't risk it myself as there's a lot that could go wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all your information, cheaper to buy a 40w power supply then risk it :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all your information, cheaper to buy a 40w power supply then risk it :-)
    That`s right.

CNC lasers, constructions, service