Serious Inquiry - Help Me Select A GOOD CNC Laser Machine

Thread: Serious Inquiry - Help Me Select A GOOD CNC Laser Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Serious Inquiry - Help Me Select A GOOD CNC Laser Machine

Hi, I am at the point where I want to add a CNC laser to my bag-o-tricks in my workshop. I am looking at websites and You Tube videos and it is all very confusing.

I certainly prefer MADE IN AMERICA! but if a Chinese laser is GOOD, I will consider it as well. I do not want to buy some cheap piece of %$&^* regardless of where it is made.

I would like the input of people in this forum, to help point me in the right direction.

So you probably have preliminary questions. I will try to answer them before you ask them.

I want to cut 12 GA or thinner steel, 14 GA or thinner stainless. Also aluminum, copper etc. I want to cut woods like oak planks and birch plywood. Acrylics. Solid Surface Material (Corian). HDU Foam, and other foams. Maybe glass? What else? Engraving .... glass, tile, marble (tombstones?) anodized aluminum, steel, etc. Tube cutting? YES.

I know there are two types, CO2 and Fiber lasers. I am interested in a dual purpose machine but I would consider buying two separate machines if that works out to be a better option. I am also interested in a larger table size, because I want to do more than etch smiley faces into iPhone cases. 4x8 is good. Larger is better!

I am currently looking at the KERN Optiflex tables in the 250 watt range. Also the Epilog units, and recently, "AP LASER" tables. They are having a "LAZERCON' in Nashville Feb. 22-23 and I will attend to see if they can WOW me with their machines.

My budget? I am looking in the range of under $200,000.00. I can go higher, but the laser would really have to be worth the investment.

I do not know when the next FabTech show is happening, but I will probably attend it to look at lasers.

At the moment I do not have 3-phase power in my shops, and it is unavailable. However I will contact the power company soon, to see what it would take to run it out to me. My other options are a 3-phase converter, or a generator capable of producing the power when I need it.

So help me narrow this down. Watts, brands, sizes, options, cutting speeds, (tube cutting, etc.) I don't mind spending money, but I do not want to WASTE money.

Joe
    'A Guy In Town'
    http://www.aguyintown.com