Need Help! Looking for Input on Lasers!

Thread: Looking for Input on Lasers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for Input on Lasers!

We are looking to buy a couple laser cutters for a new innovation lab. We are planning to get a large format machine for doing larger projects, signage, etc... and a small format, enclosed machine for specialty projects like rotary or etching miscelaneous objects. Since these machines will be used for prototyping, the use cases are 'all of the above' but primarily cutting hardwoods, acrylics, plywood, leather, and cardboard. We would love to be able to etch granite and stone as well, so the table needs to be robust, but not built for cutting granite, for example.

For the large format machines, we have narrowed it down to Kern, Vytec, or Trotec Laser. I have a lot of experience with an old (circa 2002) Kern Laser, but not with their new machines. I know there has been a lot of advancements in the last 15+ years, so I am hoping that someone has some seat time with some of the newer machines from one of these companies.

As I mentioned, we will also be looking at purchasing a small format laser that is 2'X4' or smaller bed for doing rotary engraving or small, high definition projects. The companies that we are currently considering for this machine are Universal, Epilog, and Trotec Lasers.

The questions I have are:

Do we need two machines or can we do it all in just one machine?
    What is the interface software is like and how you print from the design software?
    Is it a printer driver or stand alone?
    Are there any issues you have had with any of these machines?
    What is customer support like?
    What options or features would you get?
    If you could buy your machine over again what would you buy?

Any insights or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!