Will an 80W Laser offer this type of finish?

Thread: Will an 80W Laser offer this type of finish?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Will an 80W Laser offer this type of finish?

Hi All,

Just some background...

-I'm brand new to laser cutting/engraving
    -I need to cut and engrave very small pieces of Baltic Birch Plywood (3-6mm)
    -Recommendations point towards an 80W laser
    -Some of the plywood will be painted

Questions:

1. Will an 80W allow for very fine and detail engraving i.e. not too powerful
    2. Will it allow me to lightly engrave the painted plywood so that it burns away the painted layer, but doesn't over burn the layer beneath. The attached (about 3 x 3 cm) almost looks like a drill CNC, but I believe it is laser

Cheers

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will an 80W Laser offer this type of finish?-laser-engrave-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Will an 80W Laser offer this type of finish?

I've never tried cutting or engraving on a painted surface but I would not expect that it would work. the laser has to burn the paint and I don't think paint burns easily.
    I think you would end up with a charred mess. it also doesn't sound safe to produce burning paint fumes. let us know if you find out for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    I've never tried cutting or engraving on a painted surface but I would not expect that it would work. the laser has to burn the paint and I don't think paint burns easily.
    I think you would end up with a charred mess. it also doesn't sound safe to produce burning paint fumes. let us know if you find out for sure.
    I think you are right if it's a full paint job, Sealer, Paint, Lacquer etc....but could it be doable with a wood stain?

Downloads
    Uploads

hi
    I do it you have to cover the whole face side with masking tape engrave, then allow any resins to cool off and harden then pick off the tape
    ( could be tricky though if its intricate engraving

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will an 80W Laser offer this type of finish?-mdf-engraved-letters-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dtcrafts View Post
    hi
    I do it you have to cover the whole face side with masking tape engrave, then allow any resins to cool off and harden then pick off the tape
    ( could be tricky though if its intricate engraving

Dave
    Nice one! Have you managed to engrave on lower power so the MDF isn't too burnt? As in a light engraved colour?

Downloads
    Uploads

hi
    well you would need to trial it to see how low you can engrave at, the one i show was done on a 60w machine at 150mm/sec and about 12% power
    be aware though that if running on low power make sure that your painr system is consistent ( not variable thickness ) as you would get from hand painted.
    we use acrylic spray which has a high solid content and coats very evenly.
    the point being that on low power if the paint is not consistebt it might not burn though the paint all the way and just leave a mess
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

about the laser cutting work, you can e-mail me, I will give you some useful suggestions.
    andy@union-cnc.com