Need Help! Small Business - Need to Cut/Engrave Birch Plywood - totally lost

Thread: Small Business - Need to Cut/Engrave Birch Plywood - totally lost

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Small Business - Need to Cut/Engrave Birch Plywood - totally lost

Hi Guys,
    With such an active forum and so many enthusiasts, i'm finding it a bit overwhelming trying to find the info i needed to be honest

I've decided to make my own small boxes from Birch Plywood (around 6mm).

I could potentially be making 5-10 a day and may even receive larger orders for events - 50-100 pcs.

Boxes are small, 8 x 8 x 5 cm.

But I really don't know what machine would be suitable in terms of durability and power (to cut through the plywood)

Budget is £1,000/$1,300
    Would that be enough for a reliable machine or would i need to increase my budget? What machine would you recommend?

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Small Business - Need to Cut/Engrave Birch Plywood - totally lost

I personally think you need to double or triple your budget, to get a decent machine. Most hobby machines in the $2000 and under range are very light duty.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the feedback.

I wouldn't want to find myself in a position where I would be constantly stopping production due to the machine wearing out.

So I guess if the advice is to buy a more robust piece of equipment then so be it.

Do you have suggestions on brands and models?

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

How about starting with the 3D model then go shopping for prototype machine and production machine ?
    Pay a job shop to do the first prototype.
    you will get real-life experience on others' machines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    How about starting with the 3D model then go shopping for prototype machine and production machine ?
    Pay a job shop to do the first prototype.
    you will get real-life experience on others' machines.
    Hi Bostosh,

I've seen other small businesses make these small boxes using a laser cutter so I know it works. I could enquire with laser cutting business and ask for a sample to see the finishing - I'd just need to discover which machine they are using.

I would rather find some models and then do some model specific research to gauge user experience.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have a look at Think Laser in the UK and check their YouTube channel. A guy named Russ Sadler has a lot of videos on learning to use the Think Laser that he bought. Be forewarned that the Think Lasers are a lot more than 1,000 pounds, though, probably 3 or 4 times that much.

By the way, others here can probably better advise you, but I'm guessing you'd want at least a 60-watt laser if you are going to be cutting 6 mm BB ply and want to make a profit. If you will be doing only cutting and no engraving you might be better off with even more laser power.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Michael.

So generally speaking i should be looking at 60-watt plus in terms of machine specification if i'm going to be doing a lot of cutting?

Are there any other specs i should look out for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you are going to be cutting a lot of 6mm plywood, 60W is on the low side. Personally I'd go for min 80W. I use a 100W tube for that but will buy a 130W next time.If you do your own impoort from China you can come in at around £4000 for a 100W machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I second the 80 plus. Birch ply can be difficult to cut due to the glue in many plys. Three plys are easy but five and over is much harder. You may want to request a test cut to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    If you are going to be cutting a lot of 6mm plywood, 60W is on the low side. Personally I'd go for min 80W. I use a 100W tube for that but will buy a 130W next time.If you do your own impoort from China you can come in at around £4000 for a 100W machine.
    I have imported supplies from china before, but not machinery.

I see a lot of people have had success with China sourced equipment - but I do worry about not having the local technical support. It's my first time venturing into the laser cutting business, i'm really not too sure what to expect in terms of common faults.