Paper Cutting pages of a book

Thread: Paper Cutting pages of a book

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Paper Cutting pages of a book

First of complete noob never touched a laser cutter in my life.

here is what im trying to achieve, i do whats know as "Book Folding" or "Bookami" turing old books into wanted art but cutting and folding the edges of the pages

To make the Book Art the chosen images is turned into a pattern in a pdf/excel spreadsheet

I then by hand (taking Hrs) mark each of these measurements on the pages of the book with a ruler and pencil, then spend Hrs cutting with scissors befor folding over the sections between the cuts

My idea is to see if its possible to set up some kind of laser cutter that can use the excel spreadsheet and make 1.5cm cuts at each of the measurements.

This will not only save me a lot of effort as i wont have to mark with ruler and pencil, or cut each one, i will only have to fold the tabs over, but will also mean that all the cuts will be more uniformed if im not cutting by hand.

Please can some of you with knolage of cutters and software let me know if this is something thats possible.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paper Cutting pages of a book-close-jpg   Paper Cutting pages of a book-pattern-jpg   Paper Cutting pages of a book-alice-folds-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Paper Cutting pages of a book

I really like the idea but I'll have to advice against using laser for this.

Every average laser machine including low wattage diode lasers can cut paper but they would also produce a lot ash in the process of burning/evaporating the paper. The result will be very messy.
    To make perfectly clean cuts you'll need expensive specialized machine for paper. All of these
    systems are priced for professional use, not for a hobby.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Paper Cutting pages of a book

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    I really like the idea but I'll have to advice against using laser for this.

Every average laser machine including low wattage diode lasers can cut paper but they would also produce a lot ash in the process of burning/evaporating the paper. The result will be very messy.
    To make perfectly clean cuts you'll need expensive specialized machine for paper. All of these
    systems are priced for professional use, not for a hobby.

I have made a gcode code controlled 40W CO2 laser (modified Buildlog 2.x) that supports PPI-mode, it can cut paper with very fine detail and there is no ash to speak of. Example below is from a dxf-file I found on the net, size is 80x55 mm:

IMO PPI-mode is essential for this kind of cutting. I have just publisheed experimental code for a Cypress CY8CKIT-059 development board that can be used for cheaply retrofitting PPI-mode to machines not supporting that, this based on an article by one of the buildlog contributors.

It should be possible to take input from a Excel spreadsheet like shown by the OP and output suitable gcode, e.g. via a Excel macro. I have no experience with the cheap chinese laser cutters but I believe they employ a proprietary protocol for control which makes it harder to convert spreadsheet data into suitable commands.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paper Cutting pages of a book-img_8201-jpg