Problem with laser. Overloading maybe?

Thread: Problem with laser. Overloading maybe?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem with laser. Overloading maybe?

I'm having a little trouble with my home built laser cutter and had a couple questions I was hoping I could get some help with.

The first question is: I live in Arizona and my laser is out in a shed where the temperature is never goes below like 90 degrees (in the summer). I bought an in-line water temperature sensor and I'm not sure this is accurate, but its telling me the water is about 50 degrees Celsius. Whether thats true or not, its definitely very warm. Is this too hot for the laser tube? Will this effect my performance at all?

My second question is possibly related to the first, but I kindof don't think so. I just finished hooking everything up to my controller (AWC708C Lite) and for some reason as soon as I start a cut, sometimes immediately, and sometimes maybe 10-15 seconds in, the laser shuts off, sometimes with a small popping sound, and the controller turns off and resets as well. This does not seem like a good thing haha. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? I set the max power to 10% in the controller and it seemed to help a little, but only enough to get it where it is now. Before it was restarting instantly every time. I shouldn't have to be cutting at such low percentages though, I should be able to put a lot more power and still be fine. its a 100W laser.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for your time!!!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with laser. Overloading maybe?

I can't comment on the controller but the water temp is way too high. You will have a loss of power at that temp and it will probably reduce the useful lifespan of the tube. Buy a proper refrigerated chiller and keep the temp at 20C.

Downloads
    Uploads

Popping noise is more than likely a electrical short or ground in one of your power supplies. My guess the HV to the tube, either the lead or tube or power supply. The tube cooling water should be around 20 Deg C as stated above.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Popping noise is more than likely a electrical short or ground in one of your power supplies. My guess the HV to the tube, either the lead or tube or power supply. The tube cooling water should be around 20 Deg C as stated above.
    Perfect thanks! So you think the temp being too high could cause it to stop like that? I guess I'll get a chiller. :/ Was hoping I could get away with not spending $700 more haha. Could I get away with just getting a good AC for the room and keeping it cold? :P I'm guessing not.

And yeah I think you're right about the short. I noticed whenever the laser fires, if I'm touching the frame I get a shock. :/ How do I fix it though? I've checked all the wires and nothings touching as far as I can tell...

Downloads
    Uploads

You DIY guys need to get the basics down. Is the machine grounded, as the 120 volt green wire going to the metal frame and all the other metal cases bonded together and to that ground. You do have a black ground wire from the tube - routed back to the HV power supply?

Keep checking for a short, buy a meter and learn how to use.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    You DIY guys need to get the basics down. Is the machine grounded, as the 120 volt green wire going to the metal frame and all the other metal cases bonded together and to that ground. You do have a black ground wire from the tube - routed back to the HV power supply?

Keep checking for a short, buy a meter and learn how to use.

All of my power supplies have spots for a ground wire, which I have properly connected; is that what you mean? Or are you saying I need to connect some ground wire to the frame? I guess I'll try re-wiring everything for now.

What does happen usually if the water temperature is too high? Would it shut down like that? Or is that definitely because of a short somewhere. If it is a short, I'm just not sure why it would work ok at lower power levels, but then once it gets a bit higher it immediately stops working at all. Sorry if its a dumb question haha.