Problem with my laser cutter/step motors?

Thread: Problem with my laser cutter/step motors?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem with my laser cutter/step motors?

Hey I'm having a little trouble with my laser cutter. Not sure if the problem is in the controller or the motors really. I'm using the Nema 17 and Nema 23, along with the DQ542MA Stepper Driver, along with the awc708c lite controller. My issues are these:

Firstly: I think my Y axis is getting messed up some how half way through printing? I do the test cut from the controller, and after it completes, it ends up about 10 cm higher than it started. :/ then if I manually move it up, instead of stopping automatically at the edge, it crashes into the side because it thinks there's still about 10 cm left to go.. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Secondly, but probably less importantly: somehow the x axis is reversed somehow. I had it set up so that if I press right on the controller, the laser head moves to the right, and up, up, etc. But when I had it like that, for some reason the test cut flipped the image across the y axis (left and right). it was still right side up, but the left and right were reversed. However, when I switched the wires so that it cut correctly, the directional pad on the controller became reversed. Up and down still work normally, but left now moves the laser to the right and right to the left. Does that make sense? I can't figure out why it would do that? If right registers as right on the controller, how come it cuts left and right reversed using the very same controller? At the end of the day, if I just have to use left for right and right for left, I really don't care that much. It could be a lot worse, its just kindof weird. Any ideas? Also, is the origin of the laser supposed to be in the top left? or the top right?

Does anyone know what might be going on here? especially for the first problem? Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you so much! This has been really frustrating for me.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with my laser cutter/step motors?

Sounds like your step rate is off first and then to reverse direction on a stepper motor just need to reverse one coil, the two wires. Sounds as if you need to do some research if your going to build your own machine.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Sounds like your step rate is off first and then to reverse direction on a stepper motor just need to reverse one coil, the two wires. Sounds as if you need to do some research if your going to build your own machine.
    Oh believe me I've been trying to do research. I'm no stranger to Google, and I haven't been able to turn up hardly anything for the motors, stepper drivers, OR controller. That's why I'm asking here. Haha I appreciate the help though.

How do I change the step rate? Is that something I would need to change in the controller? Or on the driver's? I've tried changing the pulse/rev on the drivers a lot but the problem or the laser head getting off target doesn't change, it just moves slower haha.

Also, would swapping the two wires make it go the opposite direction while still keeping the controller directional pad accurate? I can't figure out why it would match up with the Dpad one way, and then print backwards on the same controller. :/

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with my laser cutter/step motors?

Also, would swapping the two wires make it go the opposite direction while still keeping the controller directional pad accurate? I can't figure out why it would match up with the Dpad one way, and then print backwards on the same controller. :/

Only reverses the motor direction. Keep searching lots of info on stepper motors and drives. Gecko comes to mind.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro