need help with Ratio of Gas Mix for broken 300w co2 laser Please :(

Thread: need help with Ratio of Gas Mix for broken 300w co2 laser Please :(

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default need help with Ratio of Gas Mix for broken 300w co2 laser Please :(

Howdy. I bought a 300w co2 laser three years ago. things didn't go my way in many ways I don't need to get into(interesting story though)

The result is I got the power, logistics, space and TIME sorted out, Got it fixed and tried to fire it up and got massive arcs from the connectors of the chassis of the machine

I bought it from china, custom made. and even if there was warranty they told me its run out. I tested the two power supplies(at 20%) with a 60w tube and they test good.

The tube has leaked out gas from sitting around for almost three years, there was a little box that looked like it nudged the valve that sits on top for vacuuming and filling the tube.

I tried to ask the manufactures;

--what's the exact mix of gasses that go into it?
    --what's the ratio of co2 Nitrogen and Helium?
    --what's the pressure or volume of gas that fits into the laser tube? what am I pumping into it? how many psi?(I can pump up to 600psi of whatever gas I mix but im pretty sure its only 2-5psi)
    --will the tube withstand a 29in/mg pull for testing? if there is a crack or leak I can detect it.

I have a really good vacuum pump. I have gauges, lines, scales, tanks, pressure pump... I'm going to buy the bottles of gas(150cuft (He=$150, co2=$50, N=50) all 99%pure from a friend of a friend), there are three welding supply shops in my area that even sell premixed gas, but they need to know the ratio's.

I tried contacting every manufacture of a 300w coherent co2 laser I could find. I tried so hard to get any information there is. watched like 40 video's on ppl trying to fix laser tubes(no one tried to refill gas other then one Vietnamese guy that doesn't answer comments or shows what mix he uses), I even watched several people make lasers from plumbing parts, So this should all be possible.

I get the theory behind what each gas dose in the laser to function. this laser did work when it left china. the machine was fully tested. and a new 300w laser tube is MINIMUM $2600+shipping. im not willing to pay that when all my laser that has no cracks or signes of damage just needs new gas.

Pls can some one send me down the right path?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: need help with Ratio of Gas Mix for broken 300w co2 laser Please :(

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the reply, but no info there. i even went asfar as to read, Plans for a Sealed CO2 Laser which was linked. with the plans and theory, but all they say was its a proroatary mix of herbs and spices. meaning companies spend lots of time to perfect the formula.

I get it. you need N2 to become excited to bump the co2 to a higher state, and give off light. but not so excited that it breaks it bonds, breaking the co2 into carbon-monoxide and oxygen, the helium is used to help strike the arc and cool the gas to keep that from happening.

The longer the tube the more helium. the thicker the tube the more co2 you need. but im not able to find a chart.

I would love nothing more then to gather a bunch of broken laser tubes and do alot of testing. then release all this info for free. for everyone to use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out SarbarMultimedia on Youtube - he's discussed gas mix and referenced articles on the same for glass CO2 tubes in one or two of his videos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i'll have a look over his video's tonight. I sure hope he isn't talking about flow-thu type lasers, which is what all the info im finding is. although somewhat interesting it doent pertain to the sealed kind. thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: OOOhhhh that guy, yes he is the guy that hacked a 80w into his 40w cutter. cool guy, but lots of lessons to try and get though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

no go sofar, ive messages a bunch of ppl on youtube, and nothing. one troll off this fourm too,

I Decided to collect what gas is left in the tube and have it tested, I seem to have some odd friends, one works at a place that makes the scan guns that tell you what material your looking at, same thing they use in scrap yards, and another is in forensics. so I might have access to testing equipment. I expect to pay of coarse. but still it will tell me if there are any trace gasses in the mix!
    Since ive literally burned all my bridges. If the internet doesn't know. then we aren't in the future yet.

I'm willing to try and test. im ordering 99.99 lab grade gas cheap the guy had to have it specially brought in for me, im getting the big 120sqft tanks, only $5ea rental per month and $200 for all filled, and that's well over 2000psi, so maybe 20000 fillups. this is some of the best information ive gotten sofar!, I was reading that the operate at 1-2 atmopheares which would be 10-20 psi, its easy to vacuum and partially fill the tube. I have a plan for measuring the gas, I might just do it by weight. I have a really good pump. i'll wire it to 240 to get more power out of it. right now im using it for 120 just to make it easier for me.
    I realized early on that there is such a thing as a flow though laser, I did not know this going in. and was going to buy a gas mix. which was going to be a waste of time and money.
    For the name of learning and free information im willing to spend $500 to save $2000... I think this makes sense. Even if I spend what a new tube would of cost me. there will be more information out there then when I began and the next guy wont have to struggle like me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down Re: need help with Ratio of Gas Mix for broken 300w co2 laser Please :(

Quote Originally Posted by portabuddy View Post
    I Decided to collect what gas is left in the tube and have it tested,..

CNC lasers, constructions, service