Importing a CAD file with LaserDRW and K40 Laser

Thread: Importing a CAD file with LaserDRW and K40 Laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Importing a CAD file with LaserDRW and K40 Laser

I am new to laser engraving / cutting, and am using the cutter mainly for cutting knife handles. My question is if there is a way to import a CAD file into LaserDRW so that I can cut it accurately. What I have been doing is exporting my CAD drawing to BMP, and them importing that into LaserDRW, however it is not very accurate. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Importing a CAD file with LaserDRW and K40 Laser

Certainly, its called DXF. Your CAD program needs to Export a DXF file in the format you need mm or inches, and in the version your software will Import. Since your using a K40 and LaserDRW I have no idea.

So it turns out your LaserDRW will not Import vectors, and that includes DXF files. There is a plug in for Inkscape thats allows it to work. Good Luck.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 08-06-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

To bring vectors into LaserDRW you can use the LaserDRW Inkscape extension.
    Laser Draw (LaserDRW) - Inkscape Extension
    Inkscape can read multiple input file types. You just need to find one that your CAD program can output. (HPGL and DXF are likely candidates)

Or you can skip LaserDRW and send DXF or SVG files to your K40 with K40 Whisperer.
    K40 Whisperer

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by scorch View Post
    To bring vectors into LaserDRW you can use the LaserDRW Inkscape extension.
    Laser Draw (LaserDRW) - Inkscape Extension
    Inkscape can read multiple input file types. You just need to find one that your CAD program can output. (HPGL and DXF are likely candidates)

Or you can skip LaserDRW and send DXF or SVG files to your K40 with K40 Whisperer.
    K40 Whisperer
    I know its been a while since I originally posted this, but the info you have shared has been awesome. Things were working good, but I have run into an issue now when importing my cad file to Inkscape. I am getting an error message regarding a polyline, and the file will not open. See the attached screen shot of the error message. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Importing a CAD file with LaserDRW and K40 Laser-screen-shot-2018-10-02-11-04-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MW3Designs View Post
    I know its been a while since I originally posted this, but the info you have shared has been awesome. Things were working good, but I have run into an issue now when importing my cad file to Inkscape. I am getting an error message regarding a polyline, and the file will not open. See the attached screen shot of the error message. Thanks in advance.
    It looks like Inkscape does not like the DXF file format yhat is being exported by your CAD program. You can try adjusting your CAD export settings

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I fixed the issue by opening my files in QCad, and resaving. While I’m in QCad I also chang the line colors to red. Then I open in Inkscape and save as LYZ, works for me.

Another question I have is how I can have lines on a lyz file that do not cut in lasercut software? I make templates for items, and prefer to have reference lines there to line up my graphic for engraving. Right now I’m placing the graphic, then deleting remaining cut lines from my template.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Laserdrw will take a vector file directly without inkscape or plugins. It's a *.emf file. know as a "Windows Metafile" - it's old school - but it's vector - and illustrator and other programs will still save to it.

It's an added step - then again, converting file types is just part of the workflow sometimes.