Boss Laser LS-1630

Thread: Boss Laser LS-1630

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Boss Laser LS-1630

After many months of research and figuring out what I needed and wanted, I decided to order the Boss Laser LS-1630 with 100w tube. The things that swayed me the most was the US based support, the excellent demo I got at their home office, and the mostly positive on-line reviews. I know I could have gotten as similar machine for much less but I did not want to have to deal with the importing, duties, and general fixes that appear to be needed on many of the direct Chinese imports. I understand that many people did not have any issues but there are just enough of them to make me concerned. Plus, I didn't want a 'project', I wanted to be able to start using the machine once I set it up. Oh yes, another positive is the number and quality of on-line videos that are available for the unit and software!

Now I just have to wait patiently for the estimated 2-4 weeks for delivery!

Bob

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Boss Laser LS-1630

Got word that Boss Laser is ahead of schedule and my laser is being shipped with expected arrival next week. That means I have to get serious about cleaning out a space in the basement and getting everything set up for the new addition.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DiverBob View Post
    Got word that Boss Laser is ahead of schedule and my laser is being shipped with expected arrival next week. That means I have to get serious about cleaning out a space in the basement and getting everything set up for the new addition.
    Bob, you need to consider how your going to get in the basement. Maybe your lucky and have a split level with a garage in the basement so you can roll in that way? One other consideration is your exhaust system and water cooling set up.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After many months of research and figuring out what I needed and wanted, I decided to order the Boss Laser LS-1630 with 100w tube. The things that swayed me the most was the US based support, the excellent demo I got at their home office, and the mostly positive on-line reviews. I know I could have gotten as similar machine for much less but I did not want to have to deal with the importing, duties, and general fixes that appear to be needed on many of the direct Chinese imports. I understand that many people did not have any issues but there are just enough of them to make me concerned. Plus, I didn't want a 'project', I wanted to be able to start using the machine once I set it up. Oh yes, another positive is the number and quality of on-line videos that are available for the unit and software!

Now I just have to wait patiently for the estimated 2-4 weeks for delivery!

Bob
    Good to hear! I went with a Boss after months of research, we got a 24/36 and a 14/16. I got the 24/36 up and running on the same day. We made a small ramp from the crate pieces and were able to roll it out with no problems. I am impressed with the build of the machine as well as the support I have received to this point!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got a call from the trucking company, delivery is Aug 1st. This equipment is going into my basement, unfortunately I don't have a walkout basement so it will be coming down the stairs. This is one item I talked to the Boss Laser people about and they showed me how to remove the bottom section of the stand so that the upper section can be placed on its back and it fits though interior doors. Now I just have to get some volunteers to help me get it down the stairs. Since I've managed to get a Tormach 770 mill and 13 by 36 lathe down those same stairs I think with help I should get it into the basement in no time.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got a call from the trucking company, delivery is Aug 1st. This equipment is going into my basement, unfortunately I don't have a walkout basement so it will be coming down the stairs. This is one item I talked to the Boss Laser people about and they showed me how to remove the bottom section of the stand so that the upper section can be placed on its back and it fits though interior doors. Now I just have to get some volunteers to help me get it down the stairs. Since I've managed to get a Tormach 770 mill and 13 by 36 lathe down those same stairs I think with help I should get it into the basement in no time.
    You might want to think about a Stair Climber like this one:

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...imber-1500lb/#

It could make the job a lot easier and I plan to use one to get my 300-lb Thunder Laser Nova 24 into our basement. Mind the clearance for doorways and such. The Nova 24 is only narrow enough to get through our 30-in doorways along one axis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    You might want to think about a Stair Climber like this one:

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...imber-1500lb/#

It could make the job a lot easier and I plan to use one to get my 300-lb Thunder Laser Nova 24 into our basement. Mind the clearance for doorways and such. The Nova 24 is only narrow enough to get through our 30-in doorways along one axis
    I found a place nearby that rents stair climbers. I think I'll get one once I get everything unpacked and ready to go to the basement. I don't know if I have any friends left after moving the mill and lathe to the basement!

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a place nearby that rents stair climbers. I think I'll get one once I get everything unpacked and ready to go to the basement. I don't know if I have any friends left after moving the mill and lathe to the basement!
    I should have made it clear that renting would be a lot cheaper than buying, in case that wasn't obvious. Around here in the Chicago western suburbs, rentals run between $100 and $200 per day.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think the local rental price is $125 a day. Pricy but easier than rounding up willing help! Today is delivery day, just waiting around for the truck to show up now. Moving the car out of the garage so I can uncrate it inside and hopefully taking it into the house tomorrow.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope the delivery went OK and you've gotten your new laser uncrated. Good luck on the move and please report back here on how things go with the Stair Climber. I'll be doing my Thunder Laser Nova 24 in a few weeks after we get some renovation done.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The 2 pallets showed up on the truck faster than expected! The driver was able to back up my driveway and delivered both inside the garage. Unpacked everything with no damage showing anywhere (very good packing inside the boxes/crate). I removed the 8 bolts on the lower section of the laser, next step is to lay it on its back so it can go to the basement. The width of the upper section is 31". I measured all the doors and 2 doors are 30" but if I remove the door from the hinges I have 31.5". Just enough room to get it through. Since my help for moving can't come by until tomorrow, today will be spent clearing out the travel path, removing doors, and a trip to the hardware store to make an opening in the side of the house for the exhaust. Hopefully I will have this up and running before the weekend.
    Boss Laser LS-1630-img_1534-jpgBoss Laser LS-1630-img_1552-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a nice laser! Guess you'll have a busy weekend, eh?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It took 4 of us to get the laser down into the basement last night. It also required 3 doors to be removed and the removal of the door trim on the door at the top of the basement stairs (next project to get, cut, paint and replace the wood trim!). It was not an easy job as it is a very tight fit. Got all the parts put back together last night and was ready to do my first test cut. The 'Hello World' demo that comes with it assumes that you are using a computer that is connected directly to the machine but since I don't have a computer down there I wanted to use the USB port. Unfortunately the laser didn't recognize the files I copied to the drive. After some more reading I think I figured out what I was doing wrong so its back to trying out my first cut/engraving attempt!

Downloads
    Uploads

The USB drive port only takes eight by three file names, and the files need to be from the software so the machine can run directly from that file. So install the software, do a simple program in LaserCad or whatever the software is that comes with the machine. Then Save As a 8.3 file format to the USB drive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    The USB drive port only takes eight by three file names, and the files need to be from the software so the machine can run directly from that file. So install the software, do a simple program in LaserCad or whatever the software is that comes with the machine. Then Save As a 8.3 file format to the USB drive.
    I figured out that I wasn't copying the .rd file to the USB, just the .rdl. With that problem solved there was no problem reading the files from the USB. Like you said, the laser only uses 8.3 file naming so the longer file names got truncated and and if beginning of the names was the same it put a number in the name. Still getting used to the laser keyboard but it is fairly simple although I haven't explored all the options yet.

I also tried importing a .dxf file from BobCad into LaserWorks and this initiated my first call to Boss Laser support. The file was for a plastic cover about 1.5x1.75 with 3 small holes in the top two corners. The laser appeared to only cut the upper left hole only even though the pattern was showing on the screen correctly. The help guys determined that the configuration setting for DXF import was set to mm so the 'hole' that it was cutting was the entire object. Once that was fixed I was able to cut the cover and it was a perfect fit.

Moving the machine to the basement also gave me an opportunity to see how well built the frame was. There is no looseness to the equipment body, very rigid and put together well. The wiring is neat and appears to be very good for the unit. The laser tube is well protected. Auto focus works well and the gantry moves very quickly. I cut a 5" Aztec Calendar using the engraving option, I was amazed at the level of detail that came out even using some cheap poplar wood that I picked up.

It was because of things like this that I was willing to pay extra and chose the Boss Laser for customer support.

Downloads
    Uploads

All my lasers and my 3D printer are set up for mm, Corel Draw and ViaCad 3D is mm also. I have a tape measure and other measuring things in mm. Its just easier to keep it all the same.