Newbie Glass etching/engraving?

Thread: Glass etching/engraving?

Default Glass etching/engraving?

Are laser engravers suitable for engraving glass? (flat and cylindrical)

Is a CNC router type machine a better choice?

Anyone here doing glass?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Glass etching/engraving?

It depends on a lot of little things. Are you talking one offs or lots of the same. For one offs cutting a mask and using etching cream is better.Gives a nicer finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ethic glass (Aka Sand carving) is best gone with a Vinyl cutter to make a mask in a cheap paint vinyl, unless you want deep carving . Then you sand blast it with aluminium oxide or carbide grit. It takes an inexpensive vinyl cutter , cutting software and a snad blast cabinet. Biggest time consumer is masking off the rest of the object from over-spray. You can make one or one hundred of a design. There are entire groups dedicated to glass etching but it called sand carving . If you wan to make one of something just do the etching acid . If you want to do multiples or make several of different designs then the sand carving is the way to go. There are all kinds of glass things that are fun to carve. Beer mugs, wine glasses, clear coffee cups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    It depends on a lot of little things. Are you talking one offs or lots of the same. For one offs cutting a mask and using etching cream is better.Gives a nicer finish.
    I have tried the stencil/paste method but I was looking for something a little more 'mass production' , say 50 off quantities of the same graphic.

Downloads
    Uploads

A good co2 laser will etch glass or frost it just fine. Just do not cheap out and for round objects a rotary is needed. A lot cleaner and faster than sandblasting. It takes some time to get the right settings for what your going to do.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I have done a lot of glass on a 40W CO2 K40 laser with a Lightobject DSP conversion. It does a great job. A bigger laser will do it faster, but I can do a design on a 4" square tile in probably 5-8 minutes. I have also done granite plaques. I just cut up granite tiles from Home Depot.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do lots of glass and mirror. I will sometimes laser it but not crazy about the texture. What I do mostly is cover the glass or mirror with vinyl then laser it. That will etch the glass and also create a stencil on it with the vinyl so I can give it a quick spray with the sandblaster to get the texture I want.

Downloads
    Uploads

How to professionally Mat the glass at home. See here
    FROSTING OF GLASS. PROFESSIONAL CREAM. You can buy in Sacramento.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, Co2 laser engravers are certainly worked for glass engraving, for cylindrical things you need a rotary.-frank from aeon laser www.aeonlaser.net (sales07@aeonlaser.net)