Newbie About to buy a laser, will an open laser be dangerous when using powerful lasers?

Thread: About to buy a laser, will an open laser be dangerous when using powerful lasers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default About to buy a laser, will an open laser be dangerous when using powerful lasers?

Hello!

Total noob-question: i´m planning to purchase a large, open, laser: a redsail 1325 to be precise. The laser is Reci S6 (150W Peak) CO2.

I am going to be using the laser in my garage, where my children and other people spending time while the laser is working. My question: Is there any added risk in using an "open" laser without the enclosure in regards to eye-damage when being near the machine? And any other advantages / disadvantages you guys see in using an open machine? I have opted for it because i plan to cut large amount of plywood and prefer to just insert the standard size boards instead of always having to cut the plywood beforehand.

Big thanks in advance!!

Jonatan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Quadros View Post
    Hello!

Total noob-question: i´m planning to purchase a large, open, laser: a redsail 1325 to be precise. The laser is Reci S6 (150W Peak) CO2.

I am going to be using the laser in my garage, where my children and other people spending time while the laser is working. My question: Is there any added risk in using an "open" laser without the enclosure in regards to eye-damage when being near the machine? And any other advantages / disadvantages you guys see in using an open machine? I have opted for it because i plan to cut large amount of plywood and prefer to just insert the standard size boards instead of always having to cut the plywood beforehand.

Big thanks in advance!!

Jonatan
    Of course it's a danger. Kid putting hand in the beam path or reflected off a shiny surface. Get some protective safety glass for yourself and lock the doors when in use. Make sure the power switch for the machine is lockable.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About to buy a laser, will an open laser be dangerous when using powerful lasers?

You have one less mirror because the tube is on the gantry. The machine will probably not be great for engraving due to the tube power.
    I would always were proper spec protective glasses around an open laser and I wouldn't have any kids around while the machine is working. Only takes a sec of distraction to have an accident happen.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About to buy a laser, will an open laser be dangerous when using powerful lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    You have one less mirror because the tube is on the gantry. The machine will probably not be great for engraving due to the tube power.
    I would always were proper spec protective glasses around an open laser and I wouldn't have any kids around while the machine is working. Only takes a sec of distraction to have an accident happen.
    I am very grateful for your feedback. If i can ask you a few more questions: what practical effect will it have that the machine have one less mirror? And about the tube-power, what would you consider optimal for speed and performance when cutting and engraving 3-4 mm birch plywood?

Good point about the glasses, we will definitely purchase these.

Reply if you have time, i´m very grateful nonetheless.

/J

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Of course it's a danger. Kid putting hand in the beam path or reflected off a shiny surface. Get some protective safety glass for yourself and lock the doors when in use. Make sure the power switch for the machine is lockable.
    For sure, good points about safety-precautions. Will definetely adhere to these advixe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One less mirror is a good thing as it makes alignment easier. A 130W tube will not engrave well. You can only turn down the power so much on a CO2 DC tube. To counter that, so you don't burn through the wood, you have to move the head really fast. Steppers cannot keep up so you need servos and the cost goes up a lot. For a happy medium between cutting and engraving stay below 100W or have a machine with two tubes, a powerful tube for cutting and a 40W tube for engraving.

I'd still keep the kids away while the laser is working. Your focus should be on that, not the kids. If the material catches fire you won't have an enclosure to contain it to some extent.

One downside to open lasers is that you need very powerful extraction to avoid fumes in the workshop. Powerful usually means loud when it comes to extraction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One less mirror is a good thing as it makes alignment easier. A 130W tube will not engrave well. You can only turn down the power so much on a CO2 DC tube. To counter that, so you don't burn through the wood, you have to move the head really fast. Steppers cannot keep up so you need servos and the cost goes up a lot. For a happy medium between cutting and engraving stay below 100W or have a machine with two tubes, a powerful tube for cutting and a 40W tube for engraving.

I'd still keep the kids away while the laser is working. Your focus should be on that, not the kids. If the material catches fire you won't have an enclosure to contain it to some extent.

One downside to open lasers is that you need very powerful extraction to avoid fumes in the workshop. Powerful usually means loud when it comes to extraction.
    Thanks again for the feedback. Ok, so in regards to the open design and the laser on the gantry there is advantages to this. I have planned to enclose the whole machine in a plexi-glass enclosure - i hope that this and the standard extraction will be enough to keep the environment in the workshop ok. I have looked into ordering a 80W tube instead since we will almost exclusively engrave and cut thin plywood. Do you think 80W is a good fit?

Mange tak!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

80w will be fine for thin ply. Given that your 80w rating is probably closer to 65w... they lie

I too am looking at a larger machine but I came to the conclusion that an enclosed machine with a passthrough slot would be better, given my environment, etc.

I also want to be able to cut larger pieces, up to 2400x1200 full ply sheets, up to 25mm, so any machine with a 1300mm wide bed and a passthrough slot will allow my cutting of the occasional full-sized sheet, while remaining safe, with good extraction, etc. and a significant cost saving on a full-sheet-sized machine, which is really designed for a factory, not a workshop.

Maybe if I grew significantly to where I could justify an industrial unit, then I would get a 1325 or 1630 sized machine, but given the hassle with extraction, etc., a 1309-size with a passthrough slot is much more family-friendly than a 1325.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have one less mirror because the tube is on the gantry. The machine will probably not be great for engraving due to the tube power. .
    That is not true.
    Gantry laser also use 3 mirrors. Same as Flying Optics.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Quadros View Post
    Hello!

Forget about children and other people spending time while the laser is working in the same room.

Safety glasses are not important if you are not an idiot.
    There is nothing like "reflection off a shiny surface" that could make any harm. This is bull****.
    Only an idiot that spent his life watching Star Wars thinks that laser beam can reflect and jump over the room.
    Laser beam is dangerous when condensed. After it passes through the lens and Focal Point it loses it`s power with every inch from Focal Point.
    If you use 2`` lens laser loses 95% of it`s power after every 100cm.
    You can make experience.
    Set your laser for cutting ply but leave it empty. Put a piece of paper on a bottom of machine (70-80cm from Focal Point and try to burn it.

My personal advice, 100x more important than stupid glasses.
    NEVER, EVER LOOK AT THE BRIGHT CUTTING (or engraving) POINT UNLESS YOU USE DARK GLASS OR PLEXI.
    It is the same as looking straight into the Sun.
    Will ruin your eyes.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    That is not true.
    Gantry laser also use 3 mirrors. Same as Flying Optics.
    You are right of course. My brain wasn't quite engaged. The advantage is that you have a constant distance between two of the mirrors so aligment should be a bit easier and you have less loss of power as the beam has a shorter way to travel compared to a fixed tube.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    There is nothing like "reflection off a shiny surface" that could make any harm. This is bull****.
    Yes and no same time. I had situation when was trying to cut thick material and make video of this. For this reason I take piece of MDF to cover LED strip on 1 side of machine (due will not blinding camera). During cut there was reflection from base pins and probably reflects back through the lens (!), but with slightly different angle. Miss mirror 2 and hits my temporary MDF cover and catch fire. Sadly deleted whole video, but still have picture of material.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About to buy a laser, will an open laser be dangerous when using powerful lasers?-burn-reflection-base-jpg  
    Polish @ Éire

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally Posted by cinematic2
    There is nothing like "reflection off a shiny surface" that could make any harm. This is bull****.[/

Quote Originally Posted by abyss View Post
    Yes and no same time. I had situation when was trying to cut thick material and make video of this. For this reason I take piece of MDF to cover LED strip on 1 side of machine (due will not blinding camera). During cut there was reflection from base pins and probably reflects back through the lens (!), but with slightly different angle. Miss mirror 2 and hits my temporary MDF cover and catch fire. Sadly deleted whole video, but still have picture of material.
    Absolutely a danger. Anything that acts as a mirror can reflect the beam like you pointed out and its happened many times. Its also a danger to your eyes causing blindness. That is why anyone without experience should not be allowed to operate or even be in the area. In the US there is suppose to be a key operated switch on that type of machine to prevent children and other un-trained personal from operating.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, some really dumb replies. Yes, safety glasses are a must. Any time the lid is open, there is the chance of a stray reflection. It only takes milliwats to cook your cornea. I've seen it. A surface does not have to be visually reflective either to bounce beams around, it's up to the laser wavelength and material type.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill I'm really surprised you kept your answer so cool on that.. I think if you have to ask is a open laser dangerous with kids and other people running around you shouldn't be getting a laser. At least not till you do a whole lot more research on lasers gessh
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post