Need help with new Chinese 80W laser.

Thread: Need help with new Chinese 80W laser.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Need help with new Chinese 80W laser.

Hi Guys, i just got my new laser cutter and i'm incredibly excited and frustrated. Honestly more frustrated than anything else. I'm a Newbie with CNC and i'm trying to learn as much as i can, please bare with me.

Here's a brief, I ordered this machine - https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...7115.11.R6mJal

Once it arrived i realized it requires 220V power. I purchased an up-converter you'll see in the Dropbox picture.

There are 3 devices that connect to the laser. The Water chiller, Air Compressor, and Extractor fan.

When i powered this on, the machine never stayed on and the breaker switched off. I called an electrician to help me install a 220V outlet. He says he would not install the 220V outlet until all the external devices like the Air Compressor and Extractor fan are 60Hz. The Air compressor and Extractor Fan says it's 50Hz. I realize that all electronics should be 60hz so I replaced them with the correct one. The Air compressor and Extractor fan now connect to 110V outlet not the machine.

I fire up the machine once again, and everything seems to be working. After a minute i realize the power to the motors do not seem to work or move. I flipped the laser switch on and that too doesn't seem to work. I have no idea what the red light indicators do since I was never provided with the manual for this machine. The Chinese tech also left his job so i'm without a contact that can help me solve this problem.

At this point i'm clueless and i have no idea what could be causing my problem. I also included some pictures and video of the issue if it helps.

VIDEO AND PICTURES ----> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j45c52ucy...1IL_LjQ8a?dl=0

If there is anyone that can help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help with new Chinese 80W laser.

Can anyone help me? Walk me through some basics steps i might be missing here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, it looks like your machine is using a Ruida controller (which is probably the best option for a cheap Chinese laser), which uses RDWorks for your control software. There is a very helpful forum specifically for this controller at rdworkslab.com which might be useful to you.

A few things to check:
    1. If your steppers aren't moving, I would hazard a guess that your power supply is not working correctly. Since you are in the US and it sounds like you got a machine that was supposed to run in Europe or China, then I think this is the most likely issue. Do you have a multimeter so that you verify that you are getting the proper voltages to the proper places?
    2. Is your eStop (the big red button) in the "on" position? If so, nothing on the machine will work. I have also read posts from several users that their eStop button was actually either broken or not wired correctly, which prevented their machines from working.
    3. Are you getting any error messages on the display? The machine should have a water flow sensor, which may be disconnected/defective, which would prevent you from firing the laser. Not sure if it stops you from moving the steppers though.
    4. Just a heads up, the CW3000 water chiller is actually just a radiator (i.e. it has no refrigerant/active cooling), so can only bring the water temperature down to the ambient temperature. If you machine is located somewhere warm (above 25C) then be cautious using the laser heavily lest you damage the tube.

-robertk925

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, a few other notes (I finally watched the videos you uploaded.)
    A. On the first video, I see your display is on and there are no error messages. I am however very confused about the other controls on your machine. The Ruida controller should control the power (based upon the settings in the file you send/download from RDWorks). I don't know why you have a "Current Modulator" dial, as that is something that is typically on cheaper controllers like those on the small K40 lasers that can't control the laser power through software.
    B. I don't know what the "Unprotect" light is for either, I don't have that on my machine. Is it possible that there is a switch on the door to protect you from firing the laser when the door is open? Most of these cheap Chinese lasers don't have this, but maybe yours does and it is defective?
    C. I also don't have the red "Laser" and green (?) switches on the left of the display. On my machine everything in controlled through the keypad/display (and RDWorks software).
    D. FYI, the ammeter (called amperemter on your machine) will not show anything unless the laser is firing.
    E. There is a green "Pulse" button next to the red "Reset" button your control panel which will test fire the laser for as long as you hold it down.
    F. If you go to the Ruida website you might be able to find a manual for the LED lights on the controller. I looked briefly and was unsuccessful, but I remember a thread somewhere talking about what most of the lights mean. If I find it I will send it you.
    G. In your second video, in case you didn't know, that white box with all the LED's is the Ruida controller, the silver box below it is the power supply for the controller and steppers, the little black boxes below that are the stepper drivers. The large black box behind the Ruida controller is indeed the laser tube power supply. You might want to check that both power supplies are set to the correct voltage. Each power supply should have a little switch on the side that lets you choose between 110V and 220V. https://www.lifewire.com/power-suppl...switch-2625973

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Robert thank you so much for the explanation. I followed your steps and it appears that the power supply is damaged. I used to multimeter check the power, I received voltage going in, about 130-140v. the other V3, +v2 COM +1V didn't show any voltage on the multimeter.

I feel as if the power supply is damaged at this point and ill try to replace it. Below is a link with the power supply that is installed on the machine. Is there another alternative version to this power supply in the US or on amazon i could replace?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...370706214.html

Thanks in advanced!

Alain

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Alain:

That power supply looks much too much small/weak (73W but at 5/12/24V) for the laser power supply (the big black one in your photos). I would recommend looking on Lightobject.com. If their power supplies are too expensive for you, then at least you can get the specs. to match on Aliexpress, although I would recommend them as a good solid vendor. Laser power supplies have much higher peak voltage to trigger the laser (22-26KV, 1000 times the power supply you were looking at!)

Also, because of this high voltage, you need to very careful when probing the laser power supply!

Downloads
    Uploads

Alain:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your post. If you are saying that your stepper motor power supply is not working, then pretty much any power supply that supplies at least the same amount of power (73W or more) as your old power supply does in the proper voltages (5V, 12V & 24V) will work. These power supplies are pretty much interchangeable and can be found on Amazon. The Meanwell RT-65D is a little bit smaller (65W), but if it is a real Meanwell (there are a lot of counterfeits) then it should provide enough power. There is also the larger Meanwell RT-125D.

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-RT-...eanwell+rt-65d
    https://www.amazon.com/RT-125D-Power...t+power+supply

Just a heads up, I don't think it is that common to require both 12V and 24V. The 5V is probably used for the laser pointer and maybe some of the sensors, but either 12V or 24V is used to drive the steppers (and 24V typically gives better performance so is preferred). So check to make sure that all 3 output voltages are actually being used. If not, then you can more easily find a dual (instead of a triple) voltage power supply.

-robertk925

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Robert, Thanks for the information on the power supply. I'm such a noob, just when i tested the power supply again to confirm dead i realize it has power!

Sorry for the confusion, I realize that the issue could be the stepper motor controllers.

The light on the JMC 2M542 controller isn't on, and there isn't voltage going out to the motors. How can I offically confirm these are dead? All of them seem to give me the same result.

Thanks Robert

- - - Updated - - -

Robert, Thanks for the information on the power supply. I'm such a noob, just when i tested the power supply again to confirm dead i realize it has power!

Sorry for the confusion, I realize that the issue could be the stepper motor controllers.

The light on the JMC 2M542 controller isn't on, and there isn't voltage going out to the motors. How can I officially confirm these are dead? All of them seem to give me the same result.

Thanks Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

First your electrician was clueless, a 50 cycle motor will run just fine on 60 cycles. In fact most commercial motors are marked 50/60 Hz. US 230 volt can be directly connected to the machine as it uses no neutral wire for anything, if the motors (fan and pump) are all 220 volts. Only the green (green/yellow) ground wire used for equipment grounding. In China the solid green is sometimes Hot, the yellow/ green is the machine ground. Search on here, a discussion about 3 weeks ago.

Have you measured the power coming into the machine and to your power supply? It must read 220/230 volts across the line. If not that is your issue, another is the power supplies have a switch to select 110 or 220 check that. BTW Your stepper motors are DC voltage. You might also check for loose wires, on my first machine three years ago, I found wires in the connectors.... but the screw was never tightened.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 07-19-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with wmgeorge, check all connections. And check to make sure that 110/220V AC is going into the power supply, and 12V/24V is going out. It would be very surprising if both stepper drivers were both defective.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you are still having problems, the 220V laser/controller/power supply can be replaced with a same-spec 110V one - that would be my first move. Switched mode poqwer supplies are cheap - get yourself a decent brand and forget converting 220>110.