Need Help! Buying a Dropswell Laser cutter - agreed price advice needed

Thread: Buying a Dropswell Laser cutter - agreed price advice needed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Buying a Dropswell Laser cutter - agreed price advice needed

Hi all

I have agreed on a price and a machine with Dropswell for their 100w 6040 laser engraver cutter

The package includes chiller and honeycomb bed. I need it to cut acrylic up to a maximum of 6mm. My main interest is prototyping camera systems for 3d medical scanning. The price is reasonable so is the warrenty and I like the layout of the machine

https://www.dropswell.com/shop/co2-l...2-laser-cutter

Anyone got any advice before I transfer the funds on Monday

Thank you

Jonathan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Buying a Dropswell Laser cutter - agreed price advice needed

Did you upgrade the chiller to a better unit you should get a real chiller not the 3000 that is just a fan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    Did you upgrade the chiller to a better unit you should get a real chiller not the 3000 that is just a fan.
    Thank you I will look into possible upgrades with them before I buy, does anyone have any specific advice on the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Definitely drop the 3000 and get a CW5000 or better. It always makes me a bit skeptical of a seller if they are willing to sell that chiller to their customers. No ethical dealer should even offer those at all.

"80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-750 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vrc321 View Post
    Definitely drop the 3000 and get a CW5000 or better. It always makes me a bit skeptical of a seller if they are willing to sell that chiller to their customers. No ethical dealer should even offer those at all.
    Agree its just a radiator with a fan blowing over, for tube long life the water should be 20C and that takes refrigeration. As It is this one will kill your tube.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really grateful for the advice. The machine came yesterday and I have removed it from the crate and assembled it. Not a small job I must say!

The 6040 I purchased looks really good, linear rails and bearings, and driven Z axis. The electronics are very nicely laid out with quality wiring. I have purchased Corel Draw x8 and the next stage is to install the software and plugin contained on the CD. Manual is comprehensive and good pictures to support the slightly odd english translation.

So some more questions.

Ducting, the ducting with the machine is very flimsy so I am thinking of purchasing some more industrial grade. When cutting Acrylic, is it necessary to extract, how bad are the fumes?

Laser glasses, which one should I buy, is it necessary bearing in mind there are micro switches on the lid that prevent the laser from operating with the lid open. How much protection does the acrylic window in the lid provide?

Sorry for so many questions

Jonathan

Downloads
    Uploads

>> When cutting Acrylic, is it necessary to extract<<

Definitely. Extruded will be worse than cast.

You pretty much have to vent everything. Laser cutting is going to be producing fumes and/or dust with just about everything and you don't want either building up.

>>Laser glasses, which one should I buy, is it necessary bearing in mind there are micro switches on the lid that prevent the laser from operating with the lid open. How much protection does the acrylic window in the lid provide?<<

Glasses are a good idea but mainly to prevent something from getting jammed in your eye versus laser damage from_a_co2_laser_like_yours. Think about it. For the damaging laser to get to you it would have to cut through the acrylic window first. Right now, you can't cut acrylic very fast normally when it is 18 mm under your nozzle. For it to reach your laser's window, it will have to bounce off the bed of the laser and then travel all the way up to the window, so it isn't going to have much cutting power.

"80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-750 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks,