Laguna Tools Laser Cutter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Tools Laser Cutter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laguna Tools Laser Cutter

As many of you are aware Laguna Tools has a new line of Laser Cutters. A few months back I placed an order for a 150w Laser cutter with a bed size of 38"x52". The machine that I ordered was the SmartShop EC model.

https://lagunatools.com/cnc-laser/co...shop-laser-ec/

Before placing my order I did some research on Laguna tools and noticed that their customer service and warranty was lacking, to say the least. However, most of these stories were approximately five years old. I had assumed that Laguna had made some improvements since there were no current reviews dictating otherwise.

I want to share my experience so that there is a current review regarding this manufacturer.

Here is a brief timeline of the process. The quotation marks represent direct quotes in email correspondence from Rick Kerrigan, Sales Manager, for Laguna Tools

2/2/17 "Lead time 4-5 weeks out"
    2/23/17 "container due in the end of March. So we are 5-6 weeks away from being able to deliver."
    2/27/17 order was placed with an approximate ship date of 3/27/17 TBD
    4/4/17 "couple of weeks away"
    5/1/17 "Finally in Port"
    5/1/17 "estimate 2 weeks or so"
    5/18/17 "FYI-your machine should be ready to ship next week"
    5/26/17 account paid in full," Machine should ship next week"
    5/31/17 "will finally be shipping Tue-Wed of next week"
    6/5/17 (telephone conversation) will be shipped Tuesday or Wednesday of this week
    6/9/17 STILL NO SHIPPING CONFIRMATION!!!

I had been extremely patient through all of this process, but sometimes enough is enough. I sent a message to Rick expressing my Concerns.

The response was as follows:
    "I certainly understand and am beyond frustrated too - the factory we contract has not met their promised production lead times - we are definitely selling way more than anticipated but when we landed them as our factory they committed to being able to handle us. We hope to finally be caught up soon (as they are finally improving on their ship dates) - but it has been difficult at best - I do not like my customers being disappointed believe me.
    That being said, your order shipped on Wednesday via Saia Freight - usually when an order is invoiced you receive an automatic email with tracking."

Previously, Rick and I had discussed Delivery and I paid $750 for Home Delivery. When we discussed delivery options, I had informed him that I live on a Culdesac and most deliveries that come frieght have issues because 54' Semi Trucks can not turn around. Here was his response: "It is set up as residential delivery w/liftgate service - the carrier is Saia - they are usually pretty good. Once it ships, I will send you the tracking # and contact info - I would recommend calling once it's on the road and explain your specific situation. They should be able to handle i."

As of my first email on 6/9/17 I had not received any tracking number or contact info for the shipment. Rick provided this information to me in his reply. It had already shipped and was currently in Texas with an expected delivery date of 6/12/17. I then contacted the shipper, Saia, with the tracking number. I was informed that delivery would be on a 54' Tractor trailer and that if they could not get to my house with a tractor trailer, then I would have to do a dock pick up or meet the driver somewhere for pickup.

Let me point out that the shipping weight on this item is 1700 Pounds!!! What they were demanding is nearly impossible without Large Moving Equipment such as a forklift and a trailer, which most individuals do not have available at the drop of a hat. Let me also state this as well. Once I take delivery, I am solely responsible for the machine from the place I picked it up, to its final destination in my workshop/residence. So if anything was to happen, then it would be entirely my loss and not the shippers. This is why I demanded Home Delivery and Paid for it. If the item had been less than 200 lbs, then I would have not been nearly as concerned but we are discussing a 1700 lb item here. No easy task for one person to move from Curbside to garage, let alone move it several miles including loading and unloading.

Needless to say, I became disgruntled and contacted Rick again. The response given was "Our Shipping Manager is on this and will arrange a solution."

So as of 6/9/17 delivery is scheduled for 6/12/17.

So this has been my experience so far and the machine still has not arrived. It really makes me wonder how the customer service will be after the fact considering the bad reviews pertaining to this company's past history of bad customer service.

I also want to point out that the Frames for these machines are manufactured across seas. They are then imported to the US. I was under the impression that Laguna Tools finished assembly of these machines on site in their own factory. But as stated in Ricks reply they contract a local factory who he laid the blame on for the delays. So to the best of my ability it seems that Laguna Purchases the frame for the machines from across seas and then contracts another company/factory to assemble the units here in the States. My assumption is that Laguna never even see these machines and they are just a retailer for them. All work is done by other companies who set up the machines and apply the Laguna stickers and Laguna is just a middleman for the sales department. I can not verify this but it seems logical considering my experience so far.

This does help explain one thing that concerned me early on after I placed the order. Information for these machines was very sparse and answers to my specific questions were extremely difficult to obtain. If I had to guess, the reason for this is because Laguna is just a middleman and the Sales Agents or even Sales Manager do not know the product they are selling. This is a huge Pet Peeve of mine. Typically when a Salesman does not know the product, then that means they are only trying to make a sale and do not care wether the item they are selling is the best product for the consumer.

My advice, Buyer Beware!!!

At this point, it is very possible that I would have been better off just ordering an equivalent model off of Amazon. Plus I would have saved a substantial amount of money by not buying a name brand laser with their warranty.

I feel that since there are so very few reviews available for the Laguna Tools Laser Cutters, that I am obliged to share my experience with the public. I will continue to update this thread as this situation progresses.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laguna Tools Laser Cutter

Boy, I hope others read this. Sala is a good freight company they haul for Grizzly tools and I have had good luck with them. But I have picked up at the Freight company as I wanted on a low to the ground trailer I could back up to my shop and unload. How are you going to handle the huge crate when it gets to your place and I hope its going in your shop with a overhead door?

My LightObject machine came from California as it was in stock. The Ray Fine I directly Imported myself both are first class and shipping was not an issue.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Once it arrives I have a skidsteer with fork lift attachment located at my house to move the machine. Fortunately I do have an overhead door to bring it in through.

Don't know what I would do in this situation if I did not have a skid steer or an overhead door.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have moved some heavy machines, ie milling, grinders and metal lathes with the help of floor jacks I have two and rollers whatever number I want to cut with my metal cutting band saw. 99% of the work was by myself, yes a set up like you have would be perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update:

Delivery was scheduled for today, 6/12.

By following the tracking information, the unit has been at the shippers facility less than 50 miles away since 4:30am on 6/10.

I called Saia this morning. I was informed all of their drivers have taken out for the day and delivery won't be until tomorrow.

For over two months I have had a trip scheduled where I leave town tonight and will be out of town until Friday night. So it was either Reschedule my trip or let the delivery sit on the dock for a week. I can not reschedule my trip, nor do I see a reason to do this, so I Rescheduled delivery for Next Monday, the next possible opportunity.

Further, I was informed that this was still to be delivered on a tractor trailer and since I live on a culdesac, it will be my responsibility to make other arrangements for Pickup, they will not deliver.

I informed Saia that they needed to either A) call Laguna and make different arrangements or B) just ship the machine back to Laguna.

I sent this Info to Rick and I am awaiting a response.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am happy to find this thread as I was looking at the same machine you mention. Talking to the salesman, he seemed to not know or to not want to tell me that the machine was just an imported Bodor laser. I asked a few other questions regarding the machine and he really had no idea what I was talking about. He mentioned the "support" that you will receive when buying from them.. I was thinking that if it was anything like the "support" he was giving, then I probably wouldn't spend the money. I have since contacted Bodor directly and though they have been very responsive, I am still leaning towards a light object, Thunderlaser, or maybe Rabbit laser.I am a furniture maker and many of my colleagues in the field like Laguna woodworking tools and that is the reason that I was originally looking at them.

Downloads
    Uploads

If looking for a Bodor laser, Novakon now sells them. They used to be based out of Canada, but recently moved operations to North Carolina.
    http://www.novakon.net/
    Not sure if it is larger enough or the right type for your needs. Just an FYI. A few here have already purchased these and you can read the reviews at the zone too.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    If looking for a Bodor laser, Novakon now sells them. They used to be based out of Canada, but recently moved operations to North Carolina.
    http://www.novakon.net/
    Not sure if it is larger enough or the right type for your needs. Just an FYI. A few here have already purchased these and you can read the reviews at the zone too.
    THank you, I will look into them. Have you had any experience with their support?

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you not pay for curb side lift gate service? I would pitch a ***** with whoever is billing the freight out and get a reduction in cost if you need to pick up, which is what I would do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Did you not pay for curb side lift gate service? I would pitch a ***** with whoever is billing the freight out and get a reduction in cost if you need to pick up, which is what I would do.
    Yes as I stated in the original post, I did pay for residential Delivery with a liftgate and I explained my situation long before the machine was even shipped. This is not my first go round with large freight deliveries. That is why I explained my situation ahead of time and is why I made the ultimatum of either it gets delivered to my residence or I will not accept delivery. 1700 lbs is no easy task to just pick up and move.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jram View Post
    THank you, I will look into them. Have you had any experience with their support?
    Yes, I have bought two mills from them. I have had excellent customer service from them. Even better since they now live in the US.
    I haven't bought the laser though, but a few here have.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novakon-lasers/

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Update:

I received a few emails from Rick today.

After I found out delivery was scheduled for today, I cleared my entire schedule except for a doctors appointment that I couldn't reschedule and my vacation. So I blocked out an entire day to
    Accept delivery except for 2:30-4:00 for the Dr appt and I can leave on vacation at anytime this evening.

The responses that I received from Rick were as follows.

"My coordinator said she arranged for the machine to be delivered to the Saia terminal and she was to arrange a smaller truck to pick up from there and deliver to you. Let me check with her when she gets in and see what the plan is."

"My coordinator says she is getting it picked up today from Saia and will deliver by 3:00pm."

I informed him of my Dr appointment

"I relayed to the coordinator - we are trying to do our part to get this delivered today."

"Michael, what time will you be back from your doctor's appointment? and what is the latest they could deliver to you if they can't get there before your appointment?"

I informed him anytime before 2:30 and after 4pm and gave him both a landline and a cellphone for the driver to reach me at.

It is now after 8pm.

No call, No Show, No Delivery.

Tracking is still showing the machine is at the terminal less than 50 miles away. And it has been there for over 60 hours now.

So I lost an Entire Day waiting for delivery.

I guess the machine will either sit on the dock for the next week, which is never good, or I will just request for it to be shipped it back. I have not decided yet. Seriously contemplating just refusing delivery, requesting a refund and taking my business elsewhere.

I have also been contemplating purchasing a Laguna CNC with an Automatic Tool Changer and have discussed pricing with Rick on multiple occasions. However after this experience, I do not feel comfortable giving them any further business. They have already wasted too much of my time.

I am already completely disappointed in this purchase and the machine has not even arrived yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All these companies have become a JOKE. No wonder many of them don't last.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update:

This is the message that I sent to Laguna Tools on Friday 6/17, it arrived at 11:30am their time. There has been no reply as of yet.

Rick,

Obviously there are issues with Laguna's supply chain that has caused more than 2 1/2 months of delays.

Also, we discussed shipping before the laser was shipped, you informed me that the freight Carrier could handle it. Obviously that turned out inaccurate as well.

Delivery was scheduled for Monday and again I was let down, this was after I cleared nearly my entire schedule to be available for delivery. The second freight carrier that you scheduled to pick up and deliver the machine on Monday 6/12 did not even pick up the crate until Wednesday 6/14. This was already two days after the scheduled delivery date and they did not even try to contact me until Thursday 6/15.

This has been a very aggravating experience and a major waste of my time. I could have purchased from another reputable company and been up and running 2 1/2 months ago bringing in income.

On Monday 6/12 I sent you a message asking you "How would you feel in my situation? What would you do if you were in my same position???"
    I have received absolutely no response. Not even a single APOLOGY for wasting my time. So apparently you would not do anything or down right just do not care. Either of the two are unacceptable. So I am assumed that you were just hoping that I would take delivery and the sale would be completed and you would be done with me and I would be stuck with the machine.

If this is the customer service that I am getting before delivery, I can only imagine what a nightmare the service will be after I take possession of the machine and Issues do my arise with it.

This is TOO large of an investment to take that risk with. I don't know about you, but $10k is a substantial investment for me and I chose the Laguna machine because of name recognition and service after the sale. I could have purchased nearly an identical machine from another company for several thousands of dollars less with the main difference being the sticker on the front. Apparently, I made a mistake choosing Laguna Tools.

Considering that I have not received any type apology for the hassle, waste of time and possible waste of income from a business standpoint, the only statement from you was "I certainly understand and am beyond frustrated too". I consider that to be a pathetic excuse for Customer Service and unacceptable. All you have done is pass the blame down the line and have not taken any responsibility for any of the delays or issues although it is your company's reputation on the line. Personally I do not consider this to be good for business.

Apparently, you have not had any issues selling these machines and they are selling like Hot Cakes because that was one of the excuses you provided me for the massive delays.

Taking all of this into consideration, you can request that the machine be returned to the factory, I do not want it. I expect a PROMPT and FULL REFUND to be reimbursed onto our credit card ASAP. I have already explained the situation to our financial institution and they informed me that we can contest the entire purchase if you do not comply.

Good luck on your new endeavors. And have a nice day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Frankly I would submit to your credit card for a chargeback right now. You have given them Far More time than I would of and its gone on long enough. As it looks like to me Laguna (a respected company) has given up and the freight company does not really give a damn as they already got paid.

Downloads
    Uploads

Upon reviewing my emails with Rick I did make one mistake. I did receive "Sorry for the delays". However that does not make up for the lost time or overall troubles with this transaction.

Just thought I should update to clarify so that all of my facts are correct. I do not want to be misleading.

Downloads
    Uploads

A sorry and $5 might get a cup of coffee at Starbuck's.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

A sorry and $5 might get a cup of coffee at Starbuck's.
    Actually, today a cup of coffee at Starbucks cost $5.41 with tax.

Lol

Downloads
    Uploads

And why I have never been in one. Love my coffee though.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

And why I have never been in one. Love my coffee though.
    I don't drink the stuff myself but my girlfriend does. I cringe every time we go through there. However several years ago I purchased stock in the company, I can't complain about how that turned out. $$$$. Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast