Hi Guys,
I have had a cheap Chinese 40 watt laser for almost a year now & i have modified it to run on Mach 3.
All was going well until two days ago - halfway through a job the laser just turned off. I noted that the fuse closest to the electrical outlet had blown so i replaced it with a fuse of slightly higher amperage. Next, the fuse ON the PSU for the laser popped and i think it may have also damaged some components on the PSU, I have ordered replacements which i will solder onto the board.

My question is - why do you guys think the fuses would suddenly start blowing? I am almost certain that i have not fixed the problem and more than likely i am going to damage more components when i fire her up again. I have a feeling (but i may be way off the mark) that there might be water inside the laser tube (the parts where its not supposed to be) however i am finding it very difficult to see this as the refractions within the tubes are confusing. To check to see if there is water in the gaseous area of the tube i have taken the tube out, filled it with water and checked for continuity between the blue and red wires, am i correct in assuming that this would tell me if there is water in the CO2 areas of the tube?
Also, if any has any other suggestions as to why the fuses would be popping that would be great.

Thanks,
Paul.