Dropswell 6040 CO2 Laser

Thread: Dropswell 6040 CO2 Laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dropswell 6040 CO2 Laser

Hi all

We're new to the forum, and we are also new to laser cutting. We predominantly use blade cutting in our printing & Mylar stencil business, but we have been looking to expand into new niches and products for a year, so I have been researching and learning everything I could about laser cutting.

Two things I must point out before I provide my review of Dropswell...

The first is that there is a wealth of information out there to enable you to make an informed decision about buying a laser. To see how one of these machines work, and the trials & tribulations of owning one, you should check out SarbarMultimedia on YouTube. Russ has so much content that will help out newbies and veterans alike, detailing each step he takes for each material he tries out. Not only that, if you send him a message, you'll likely get a full dissertation on your problem!

The second thing - regardless of how good you think you are, always, ALWAYS put safety first. I had a slight issue with some debris in the tube (more on this shortly) and this could have cost me the laser or worse. Check, then double check your machine. Whether you are spending £300 or £3000, little things can crop up and make BIG problems for you.

Delivery & Unboxing

We advised Francis at Dropswell that we operate a home business with workshop annex. This meant we were in a residential area, and would require a tail lift to deliver our crate. Unfortunately, nobody told the carrier we had a communication problem... and a very affable and helpful driver told us the bad news when he arrived. We decided that sending back the laser and redelivering would not be an option, as we had planned for that day, and could not reschedule. After twenty minutes of huffing and puffing, three of us managed to get the laser off the trailer and onto our driveway. From there it was a case of putting the laser on the dolly and a bit of man handling to get it in place. I had no contingency for not having a tail lift & pallet truck, so be aware that these things can happen. Are you able to do the same if the carrier does not get the memo? This is not on Dropswell, as we've seen the emails to the carrier. They tried to get a solution for us, but brute force and ignorance was all we needed.

To get the laser off the truck, we needed to open the crate. In transit the crate had actually separated itself from the base, so we lifted off the top of the crate, only for the front panel to fall off, and disconnect a fan. This is an easy fix, and was probably due to the shaking in transit. Everything was packaged fairly well, but a little more padding inside the laser bed would have been good, to prevent the gantry from moving freely.

Initial Setup

Following the instructions on the enclosed CD was pretty easy. A few confusing parts, but nothing a quick call to Francis couldn't fix. These guys are spot on when it comes to customer service. Francis is knowledgeable and always there to help.

After using the water chiller (which pumps water through the laser tube) for about 10 - 15 minutes, I checked for air bubbles. There were none. All good. Almost ready for a test fire. I booted up CorelDraw and CorelLaser (LaserDRW was causing issues with other software being open, and even changed the model number of the laser to another laser on one boot up). I positioned the laser over the area I would test fire, and thought I'd check everything for the fifth time (with something this dangerous, I believe in safety first, second, third etc.). Lo and behold a piece of debris had crept into the tube. Francis and I could not work out what it was from a photo; either polystyrene or liner from the chiller. Either way it could not live there. next morning, I took off the outlet pipe from the chiller, aimed it into a bucket, and started the pump. Out popped the debris. It had broken up overnight, or weakened enough to come free, and it landed in the bucket, enabling me to finally perform a test fire, with Francis on the end of the phone. All went fantastic, and the mirrors were all aligned perfectly.

Conclusion

• Dropswell are a customer focused company. Every call and email is answered in a timely manner.
    • The equipment is well put together, and well worth the price
    • The instructions are a little hit & miss, as they have been translated it seems. If I had one complaint, it would be this. What it needs is a native English speaking laser operator to re-write it, and also some videos would be great!
    • When it seemed the water chiller was at fault for spitting some lining into the tubes, Francis offered to send a replacement. These run to £130 - £150, so for Francis to offer this right out of the gate, you know this is a reputable company with your best interests in mind
    • As a new user, I felt 100% confident that I could use the product - but bear in mind I have 15 years IT experience - hardware and software - have worked with machinery before, and also operate a design business... so if you don't have this kind of experience, you will need assistance. Dropswell are willing & able to do this, and YouTube is fantastic. Use both!
    • A few tips:
      • ​Buy distilled water from your local Halfords or mechanic for the chiller. We got 25l for £9.99 from Wilko Motosave
      • Make sure you have a minimum of two burly guys on hand in case you need to handball the laser off the truck. At 120kg, I felt like I had been in training for Mr Universe once it was set up...
      • These machines don't go through regular doors. Check the dimensions first, and plan ahead
      • We are in the middle of a heatwave - make sure you have the right cooling equipment, because at 35C these tubes lose lifespan
      • We cut Mylar, and are looking at doing laser Ply and laser MDF. Before you go ahead and purchase, speak to Francis about your requirements. He will have the Dropswell team try out ANY materials you send. Better yet, they will do it with you if you visit.
      • DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING. I assumed I could use one of the programs I had taught myself over six months, watching YouTube and testing offline - but when it hooked up to the laser, everything changed. Sometimes Windows doesn't like to play with new toys, or the software doesn't play nice (LaserDRW + Corel) - so you have to have a contingency. CorelDraw and CorelLaser are now my new friends. Factor in the software to your price as you only get the trial version...
      • Make sure your favourite software can convert images to CorelLaser friendly files, and you can do high resolution images. 300dpi is a minimum here
      • Change your desktop wallpaper to this once you get the laser hooked up. Not essential, but worth it.

Any problems we had were dealt with instantly, and ignoring the delivery cock-up, this has been the best experience we've had with a company when buying new equipment. Considering the price tag, I expected it, but was still surprised I actually got it. Too many companies are lackluster once money changes hands these days. I recommend Dropswell with complete confidence, and I'm sure when I do a follow up in a month or so, all will be well.