40w CO2 Laser - It burns, not cutting - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40w CO2 Laser - It burns, not cutting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 40w CO2 Laser - It burns, not cutting

Bill every thing I've read about tube power is directly related to tube length and diameter . From what I read a 900mm tube 51mm in dia is a true 30 watt tube and will put out a continuous 30 watts while cutting.. anything less then that you can't get enough gas in the tube for more power, from what I read and what others Like Ray Scott and Dave Sheldrake have said. When I had my FSL we know it was less then 30 watts but it would cut 1/4 plywood at 5mmps and full power. My 60 watt rabbit cuts it at 65% power 10 mmps.

Downloads
    Uploads

So Bert you have Rays Rabbit Laser USA website info and I have Marco's LightObject info which is somewhat different and I would trust them both. I have purchased from LO for over 3 years without issues. Here Is what I have and it works fine with my new chiller system which is the key... keeping the tube at 20 DegC for long life and max power. SPT 850mm CO2 Sealed Laser Tube (40W)

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill I'd be real curious to see what power meter would tell you on that tube. I picked my laser up in Ohio from Ray and my tube tested 65 watts at that time almost 3 years ago now and is still cutting 1/4 BB just fine. I'm not sayin its not putting out 40 watts would just like to see what a power meter says. Like I said my fsl 40 watt would cut 1/4bb slow and high power and we all know the FSL tube was like 30 watts .I can see this thread becoming a battle between you and me and I don't want that. I look at Ray as an engineer selling tubes for his lasers but selling a much longer tube then what most vendors sell at the same wattage and wonder why he wouldn't sell a shorter tube for 40 watts if he could`. Why does almost every known tube vendor try to sell shorter tubes saying they have more wattage . I think if a shorter tube really delivered the wattage the vendor states they deliver then Ray would sell a shorter tube.Look at all the discussions about this on smc and they all say the same thing that vendors stretch the truth about tube power. yes they peak at 40 watts so technically not a lie but will they cut a 20 inch circle putting out 40 watts the whole way NO they won't the power will drop to what ever the real rating is for the length of the tube.
    Anyway Its good your tube does what you want and thats all that matters. We both are bull headed as we can see from other forums LOL and try to change my mind or yours is not likely.. I enjoy reading your comments on smc don't agree with everything and lord knows I make a lot of dumb statements but sometimes I do help somebody and so do you. So as the saying goes lets agree to disagree. When I want a new tube I know what length I'm going to buy for my 60 watt.

Downloads
    Uploads

What I find interesting the RF laser tubes refills are now costing almost what a new good glass tube machine costs. LO sells true industrial rated 40 watt tubes that are one meter long, that is continuous 100% duty cycle and on a 20 DegC chiller system. Neither one of my machines gets used 8 - 10 hours straight. But I am having a very good year, sales are way up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird48 View Post
    I repeat a 40 watt tube is 1010mm long 51 mm dia
    Big, you telling bull****s. You better buy Power meter and learn wher the truth is.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Downloads
    Uploads

From what I read a 900mm tube 51mm in dia is a true 30 watt tube and will put out a continuous 30 watts while cutting.. anything less then that you can't get enough gas in the tube for more power, from what I read .
    Laser power has not much to do with gas quantity. It is strictly connected to optical path lenght.
    I am sorry but your knowlege about CO2 laser technology - that you read - is an embarrassingly low.

Last edited by cinematic2; 06-02-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you should take your own advice, and do a little more research before telling me I'm full of bull yes your right not how much gas but the llength of the tube that the gas trvels down, the longer the tube the more wattage . ..
    Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Big, you telling bull****s. You better buy Power meter and lern wher the truth is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you should take your own advice, and do a little more research before telling me I'm full of bull yes your right not how much gas but the llength of the tube that the gas trvels down, the longer the tube the more wattage . ..
    Want to know difference betweenv your lame internet knowledge and mine?
    I am optoelectronis engineer with 23 years experience in CO2 and YAG and lasers.
    I do not need to do any research among other amateurs like you.

your right not how much gas but the llength of the tube that the gas trvels down, the longer the tube the more wattage . ..
    Again you do not understand what you are talking about.
    This is not gas travel important but optical path lenght. Only in DC lasers gas flows the same way as radiation and that made you fool.
    In other constructions gas flows across the optical path.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Want to know difference betweenv your lame internet knowledge and mine?
    I am optoelectronis engineer with 23 years experience in CO2 and YAG and lasers.
    I do not need to do any research among other amateurs like you.

Again you do not understand what you are talking about.
    This is not gas travel important but optical path lenght. Only in DC lasers gas flows the same way as radiation and that made you fool.
    In other constructions gas flows across the optical path.
    YOU are not an engineer. A educated person helps others... not belittle or demean people. I have been on here for many years trying to help others.... what have you done?

Last edited by wmgeorge; 06-02-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I own a k40. Also deal with yag lasers/ fiber lasers at work from 200 to 5kw and cO2 lasers up to 2700 watts. The k40 is a home toy, that's why they are 300.00. It will cut 3/16 model ply, but not well. 1/8 model ply it does a reasonable job. I've also cut 3/16 acrylic, and it does quite well. Focal length and air assist are required. It will engrave anodized aluminum, ceramic tile, and acrylic quite well. It makes a huge smoldering mess of MDF, and of coarse just melts polycarb.
    This all of coarse once you get through the terrible software.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

endurance_robots

to do careful laser cutting you would need to find optimal parameters like spped, time of repeats and power...
    these parameters are very important to know or choose...

a lot of useful setting you may find here: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+laser+cutting

Downloads
    Uploads

Dealing with a 40W CO2 laser cutter that's causing burning instead of clean cuts is a common challenge in laser cutting. To resolve this issue, check material compatibility, adjust focus, fine-tune power and speed settings, maintain the air assist system, and ensure material preparation. Regularly clean optics and mirrors, eliminate surface contaminants, and ensure proper exhaust and ventilation. Test settings on scrap material, assess laser tube health, verify software settings, align the machine correctly, and monitor the cooling system. If issues persist, seek professional assistance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12