Hurricane Lasers Motion Control Issues

Thread: Hurricane Lasers Motion Control Issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurricane Lasers Motion Control Issues

Hello All,

Computer Aided Design Classroom teacher here. Thank you for taking the time to open this thread. I have been searching online forums to solve my issues and have not found descriptions quite like anything I have going on. If you know of a similar resolved post, I apologize for taking your time. If you would please direct me to the post I would greatly appreciate it.

Running:
    Hurricane Lasers 60W CO2 Laser - 600mm x 400mm bed (Hurricane Lasers is no longer in business.) I believe this is a G.Weike Laser
    Lasercut 5.3
    Leetro 6515 Motion Controller

Video (w/sound) of Issues here:
    Screenshot of Lasercut Settings:

1st issue: When pressing the test fire button the laser head moves.
    2nd issue: Scan Gap seems to vary greatly while running through a job. Jumps on the X-Axis and Y-Axis during engraves. Laser fire can be inconsistent (not shown in the video). Jobs do not come close to looking like the information on the screen.

Things I have done with no success solving the problem:
    Reinstalled Driver and Software
    Installed Driver and Software on a different computer
    Delete all jobs from memory (head still moves on test fire)
    Cleaned and lubricated all rails. (Head moves without issues during Datum and when I manually move it.)
    Re-set all plugged electrical connections on the Motion Controller, Z-Axis, X-Axis, and Y-Axis

Any direction or advice is appreciated. I teach class full time, so I may not be able to respond right away. I am doing my research for purchasing a new laser engraver, but am still a couple years from the purchasing cycle. Until then, I need to limp this one along. Thank you for your time.

-John Fisher

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurricane Lasers  Motion Control Issues-lasercut5-3-screenshot-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hurricane Lasers Motion Control Issues

John, did it ever work right? Because if its brand new its a question for the people you purchased from. Chinese lasers are more or less about the same. They purchase the components and build a machine and someone wires it up and out the door. If it works when you receive it then they did a good job, if not you really need to have some troubleshooting and use of a VOM skills. All I can say first is check for loose connections, everything and with a screwdriver to tighten the screws. My first one was a big learning curve, wires in terminals.... screws never tightened. Kind of worked some times.
    There is No magic wand when working on these, it takes time and research. Google is your friend.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hurricane Lasers Motion Control Issues

Thank you for the reply. Google has been a friend so far, sometimes one who doesn't wish to divulge information quickly, but a friend nonetheless.

I don't think the laser ever worked correctly. More along the lines of your first one, kind of works sometimes. I wasn't in the district when it was purchased, but in my conversations with the previous teacher, he has stated that it always has been hit and miss. The company who sold the laser, went bankrupt and is no longer in business. I have spent a lot of time on various issues over the two years I have been in this position: dead safety switches, burnt up ammeter on the machine, electricity arcing to the body, lack of silicon insulation, no grounding, alligator clips to the C02 tube electrodes (really poor connection) . All in all, it hasn't been a reliable product. BUT I have learned some things about using a VOM, I still have a long way to go to really know it well. I have set all the plugs, but I will tighten every screw as well and reset the wire in the plus.. It might be a long, slow process. The students show up every day and every period whether or not the laser is running.

I will post an update when the tightening process is complete. Hopefully it works. Like I said before, I am still two years out from being able to purchase a new engraver.