Problem 40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.

Thread: 40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.

I just received my new so called "K40" laser and I am having an issue with the laser internally arcing to the anode and causing power loss.

(Here is the laser cutter I bought)

I also found this video on YouTube that show exactly what mine is doing.

I am already using distilled water in my laser but after thinking about it, the bucket I put the water in was pretty dusty when I bought it from Home Depot.
    So I am going to go home tonight, clean the bucket and flush the system with fresh distilled water to see if this goes away but my question is:

if it doesn't go away what are some other things that can cause this?

I can return the machine from the place I bought it from but if it can be fixed without to much headache I would prefer to keep it.
    I have a feeling even if I order another one it will have its problems too.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the K40 machine is just a mm or so away from being junk. Some people have got them to work, and others have spent hundreds of dollars and they still are not happy. IF you can send it back, and receive a refund go for it. Then save your money up, Automation Tech out of Chicago and LightObject out of Sacramento sell some good lower cost machines. I got one from LightObject and I was using it just today to do a project for my wife. Works great and its a true 40 watt machine. I just arrived Tuesday but I have been using lasers since late 2013.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I kind of figured it was to good to be true, usually is. I sent the video to the manufacturer and they told me the laser was firing normal, yeah right!
    So I told them, OK I am not jumping through these stupid hoops, I was dumb enough to buy it but I'm not dumb enough to not know its not working right.
    I am returning it Monday. Unfortunately I don't have much more than $500.00 to spend on something like this so I guess my laser cutting days are done.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CJG71 View Post
    Yes I kind of figured it was to good to be true, usually is. I sent the video to the manufacturer and they told me the laser was firing normal, yeah right!
    So I told them, OK I am not jumping through these stupid hoops, I was dumb enough to buy it but I'm not dumb enough to not know its not working right.
    I am returning it Monday. Unfortunately I don't have much more than $500.00 to spend on something like this so I guess my laser cutting days are done.
    I hope your get you money back.
    You might keep an eye open on Craigslist and on here sometimes good machines are sold because the owner wants or needs more power. My 40 watt machine from LightObject has a tested at 45 watts Max tube that is 850 mm long. If I can keep the water cool and don't overpower it, the tube may last for a long time. I don't know what you planned to use your machine for, just hobby or making money for an idea? They are having a sale at LightObject right now, but in addition to the machine you will need a small submersible water pump ( I had one from a garden pond project) a air pump and exhaust fan both from Amazon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will get my money back no problem, the one smart thing I did was buy it through Amazon Prime and only from a seller that had a return policy. I actually bought the machine to help me make a little invention that I came up with but I figured since I had it I might as well make a little side business out of it and do some etching etc... I was pretty disappointed to find that it doesn't work. I don't really have a lot of money so being able to pick up a good one that would actually work would take me a good while as I can only save a small amount each payday. I am going to try to find a company that will just cut the pieces that I need for now and maybe if my little idea takes off I can buy a better one. I am just trying to get the prototype made so I can get a Kickstarter campaign going and run some ads on Facebook. I will keep my eye out for some used ones though, that might be something that could work for me. do have one other question though... I found a laser tube that actually has metal collectors on it and looks like a good laser tube.

https://www.amazon.com/2500-3000-40W...40w+laser+tube

I wonder if I just changed out the laser in the one that I have if it might work? Or do you normally end up replacing just about every component in the thing before it actually does something?

I really appreciate your input. Thank you very much!

Downloads
    Uploads

A 700 mm tube can not be a true 40 watt, its the law of physics at work, and a little deceptive advertising. Look at the HV power supply in the unit you have now, and be careful if you break a seal or something they might not take the return. Take the part number off the power supply and do a google for it to get the watt rating. I was lucky on the one I had, not a K40 but the PS was a true 40 watt rated.

Please go to lightobject dot com and have dealt with them for over 3 years and they are an honest vender. Look around and read a bit. The Forum they run has a lot of info. BTW what are you planning to cut? Other than thin wood or plastic not much is possible with a laser under 60 watts or so.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got lucky with my k40, paid 310 for it on ebay, and it worked and decently aligned out of the crate. Just used it today in fact. I did add air assist though.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a 40W laser which arced randomly in the inside, between the terminal and the mirror. It resulted in high voltage leaking into the coolant and causing wierd things like the coolant temperature readout blanking out, power loss etc.

Under close inspection I saw something which looked like a strand of hot glue on the terminal pointing towards the mirror.
    I used a 200mw green laser to melt the base of the piece of hot glue and was amazed that it actually worked. 40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually got it working "sort of" over the weekend. I got it where is would consistently cut at 70% and around 6 mm/s although that still seems quite slow to me as compared to some of the videos I have seen. You might know though as soon as I got it "sort of" working the "Laser Test" button stopped working now the only way I can manually fire the laser is to push the test button that is on the power supply board next to the red light... I am torn between sending it back now and maybe just trying to make a few bucks with it. I was only planning on cutting (1/8" max) acrylic with this thing so I would have expected it to at least be able to do that. If I decide to keep it I might delve more into the guts of it but for now I am just trying to decide what I should do. I will take a look at the lightobject site again. I looked at it the other day and their lasers seemed a little pricey for my budget but I did see they had a lot of parts etc. I am just not sure what to do right now. I am speaking with the seller and of course they don't want me to send it back and would prefer to just replace parts if necessary but I am not sure I even want to mess with it. I am going to go home tonight and fiddle with it a little more and just see what I can do with it that may be worth while.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow I will take a look at mine! At this point I am up for anything that might get it working. Thanks for the feedback!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was really hoping I would be one of the "lucky ones" but doesn't seem to be the case, although magically the laser started firing somewhat normal over the weekend. I am not sure why but it did seem to work much better, although still not to the level I would have expected. I could only cut 2mm acrylic at around 5-6mm/s seems a little slow to me. Thank for the feedback!

Downloads
    Uploads

See if Amazon will issue a return. FYI I sold my big lathe and decided to purchase a Mini, just to have one. They had one with good reviews, Prime and "free" shipping what more could I want? Turned out they sent me a return that had been repacked and called good as new. It was not, just junk and it came in busted up so bad I that to redo the box so it would go back UPS. Returned and got a full refund. Thank you Amazon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes this is what I see when I look at my order through Amazon and I did purchase it through Prime...
    40W CO2 Laser, beam internally arcing to anode.-amazon-return-jpg
    So at least I know Amazon will take care of this matter for me! No matter what the seller says, I'm covered!
    Also the return date is June 8th so I have a little time and now a paper trail from the seller trying to solve the problems.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now if you have the skills, money and patience LightObject does sell upgrade kits. But you will have more than double your cost in the K40 right now. This is assuming your stepper motors, PS and the rest is ok, the tube in those is usually 700 mm or so which is perhaps a good 30 watt tube, if it works otherwise its another $150-200 for a new one with an honest rating. Its a tough call, the software with those machines is not that great.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes everything about them is a little disappointing in one way or another, they are definitely not "plug and play" machines and honestly I am not an electrician and I am not so sure I am comfortable messing with 15,000 volts at 20-30ma. I have considered the upgrade option but like you say its more money and by the time your done you could have bought a machine that works correctly and has good software to work with. I am leaning more toward returning it but being as I have a little time I am going to do a little more tinkering before I do. If I only had a week to return the thing it would have been on a UPS truck two days ago I can assure you.. lol.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check your focal length and alignment, that will look like low power if it's out.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have aligned it a few times but I'm still not positive its prefect. I am going to buy a key chain laser pointer this weekend and make a bracket to hold it so I can get them aligned perfectly.
    As far as the focal point I'm not sure how to adjust that with these cutters? As far as I can tell there are no adjustments for the Z axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

I just bought a used K40, and it is arcing in the exact same way. I hear a faint buzzing, and the purple light looks like it is traveling all the way back to the red high voltage wire. I've tried changing out the water, but it's not making any difference. How did you get yours working?