Need Help! Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser

Thread: Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser

As stated, I have a blue Chinese eBay 50W laser. The power supply to the laser tube recently stopped working, so, expecting to get a higher-powered tube in the future, I got a new 40-60W PSU from LightObject which is a make: Jupiter Co. model: LO-60W.

After hooking up everything identically to the original power supply, the laser once again fired. However, when fired, I hear a sound like a mechanical relay switching in the new PSU. The cutting capability seems fine, and the PWM effectively controls the current output. However, when engraving items, it appears the laser tube is not switching on fast enough with the new PSU, resulting in a complete loss of fine detail. Also, I am getting ghosting in the direction of the engraving swing, no matter whether it's X- or Y-, and both motors appear to be functioning normally otherwise. I wondered whether the 15% power wasn't triggering the laser tube with the new PSU, so I bumped it up, but I get the same engraving results at any power level.

Here is the controller reference schematic for connecting a PSU:

And here is how the controller and PSU were connected at the factory:

When connecting the PSU to the controller per the controller reference, the laser does not fire at all.

Does anyone have any idea why the TH/TL are connected by the factory, while the L-On1 is connected to the WP on the PSU? Any idea why the reference example results in the laser not firing? Any idea why I'm seeing what I'm seeing with the exact same engraving file?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser-img_20170506_043626-jpg   Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser-screenshot_20170509-062656-jpg   Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser-screenshot_20170509-062656b-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Installing New Power Supply on eBay 50W KH-5030 CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by drtrmiller View Post
    As stated, I have a blue Chinese eBay 50W laser. The power supply to the laser tube recently stopped working, so, expecting to get a higher-powered tube in the future, I got a new 40-60W PSU from LightObject which is a make: Jupiter Co. model: LO-60W.

After hooking up everything identically to the original power supply, the laser once again fired. However, when fired, I hear a sound like a mechanical relay switching in the new PSU. The cutting capability seems fine, and the PWM effectively controls the current output. However, when engraving items, it appears the laser tube is not switching on fast enough with the new PSU, resulting in a complete loss of fine detail. Also, I am getting ghosting in the direction of the engraving swing, no matter whether it's X- or Y-, and both motors appear to be functioning normally otherwise. I wondered whether the 15% power wasn't triggering the laser tube with the new PSU, so I bumped it up, but I get the same engraving results at any power level.

Here is the controller reference schematic for connecting a PSU:

And here is how the controller and PSU were connected at the factory:

When connecting the PSU to the controller per the controller reference, the laser does not fire at all.

Does anyone have any idea why the TH/TL are connected by the factory, while the L-On1 is connected to the WP on the PSU? Any idea why the reference example results in the laser not firing? Any idea why I'm seeing what I'm seeing with the exact same engraving file?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Was there a diagram with the new PSU? So the PS is either TTL (on-off) or PWM one or the other.
    Nice job of posting pictures!

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Was there a diagram with the new PSU? So the PS is either TTL (on-off) or PWM one or the other.
    Nice job of posting pictures!

You're absolutely right. Maybe the old PSU had the connections in a different order? The water protection is at the controller level, and I suppose WP on the PSU side is for if the controller doesn't have water protection?

Either way, once I connected the WP to Ground on the PSU, I then connected L-On1 on the controller to TL on the PSU, and it worked perfectly. If the water pump stops working, the controller won't send a fire signal to the PSU, so in this instance, WP on the PSU itself appears to be redundant.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drtrmiller View Post
    You're absolutely right. Maybe the old PSU had the connections in a different order? The water protection is at the controller level, and I suppose WP on the PSU side is for if the controller doesn't have water protection?

Either way, once I connected the WP to Ground on the PSU, I then connected L-On1 on the controller to TL on the PSU, and it worked perfectly. If the water pump stops working, the controller won't send a fire signal to the PSU, so in this instance, WP on the PSU itself appears to be redundant.
    I'm having the same exact issue out of the box. What exactly did you to to fix this? My hookup looks like what you had as the factory schematic.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone figured this out yet? I switched my PSU and tube and am having the same issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.