Newbie Laser Cutter/Engraver Advice

Thread: Laser Cutter/Engraver Advice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Laser Cutter/Engraver Advice

While I know this has been asked a million times and I've read over numerous threads, looking for some general advice on a laser cutter that can handle cutting 1/4" MDF core plywood, as well as general wood engraving.

Budget is always an issue. Don't mind some tweaking & tuning and setup. I've done CNC for a while and played with small diode laser engravers so familiar with builds and such.

FSLaser looks like the only real North American option but reviews always seem hit or miss and higher priced for what basically seems like a Chinese laser. Shipping to Canada is also pricey given it is just a country away.

Would importing a Chinese laser be the best option, and then do a rebuild/tweak?
    What suppliers are best balance of price and quality?
    What are the suggested fixes & upgrades?
    What W laser would be best for my intended use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Laser Cutter/Engraver Advice

Quote Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
    FSLaser looks like the only real North American option but reviews always seem hit or miss and higher priced for what basically seems like a Chinese laser.
    Why do you consider FSLaser as a "real American option"? FSLaser sells Chinese machines only (with a juicy re-seller markup). All of their components are designed, developed and manufactured in China, by Chinese companies and for the Chinese market.

- If you want to buy machine designed by an American company look for Epilog or ULS (Universal Laser Systems). Both make top quality machines but as you may expect they are significantly more expensive than the Chinese options.
    www.epiloglaser.com
    www.ulsinc.com

- If you want to buy a reasonably priced Chinese machine in North America check these two:
    www.automationtechnologiesinc.com
    LightObject

Would importing a Chinese laser be the best option, and then do a rebuild/tweak?
    Why would you want to tweak and rebuild an imported machine? The whole point of importing from China is that you can get a custom configuration build per your exact specifications and requirements. Most Chinese companies would offer to you a long list with available options to choose from.

What W laser would be best for my intended use?
    Do you need the machine for hobby or for real production?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. I was aware FSL was basically the Chinese machine, hence my desire to find other options. I was not aware of other similar NA based options, thanks for the links I will check them out.

By tweak and rebuild the Chinese machine from what I have read most seem to require fixes and alignment etc to deal with issues, ie not plug and play, is that not the case?

Mostly prototyping/hobby/small scale production use.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have read most seem to require fixes and alignment etc to deal with issues, ie not plug and play, is that not the case?
    No, if you get a descent machine it should work fine straight out of the box. Every machine requires calibration but other than that it shouldn't require any fixes.

For a hobby I would suggest:

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...raving/350-60w

or

High Speed Desktop 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Machine w/Z Table

The lower option is made with higher quality components and it is overall better machine but it is only 40W and comes without a chiller (sold separately). with 40W you may have to cut the wood on two passes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Storen View Post
    No, if you get a descent machine it should work fine straight out of the box. Every machine requires calibration but other than that it shouldn't require any fixes.

For a hobby I would suggest:

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...raving/350-60w

or

High Speed Desktop 40W CO2 Laser Engraving Machine w/Z Table

The lower option is made with higher quality components and it is overall better machine but it is only 40W and comes without a chiller (sold separately). with 40W you may have to cut the wood on two passes.
    Thanks. Seems neither ship to Canada.

Simplest may be to source from China I guess, being US based rarely helps shipping hassle or cost to Canada and very few Canadian resellers.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you don't mind importing form China I would suggest this:

Acrylic And Wood Laser Cutting Machine HS-T6040Z-Foshan Beyond Laser Technology Co., Ltd.