Just Starting Out.

Thread: Just Starting Out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Just Starting Out.

Hi Guys!

Hello from across the pond.

I am just starting out and am in need of a bit of general guidance. I am a keen tabletop miniatures hobbyist and have purchased and painted many models over the years.

Currently I purchase and transport them in off shelve containers with a standard load out of Foam (Soft Firmness Open Cell Packing Foam Grey). I find these are both expensive and standard.

I am looking for a suitable Laser CNC System that would be up to the very small job of cutting Soft Firmness Open Cell Packing Foam Grey to a maximum depth of 100mm (common cutting depths will be 25mm,50mm,700mm and maximum of 100mm. Working within a 400mm x 300mm Cutting space. This would allow me to write my own vector paths and make lower cost bespoke foam inserts for my models.

Cost is a big constraint, as I am a hobbyist not a multinational corporation =).

I am a novice to cutting machines and so any help would be greatly appricated!

Kindest Regards

James

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Just Starting Out.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdcogwirrel View Post
    Hi Guys!

Hello from across the pond.

I am just starting out and am in need of a bit of general guidance. I am a keen tabletop miniatures hobbyist and have purchased and painted many models over the years.

Currently I purchase and transport them in off shelve containers with a standard load out of Foam (Soft Firmness Open Cell Packing Foam Grey). I find these are both expensive and standard.

I am looking for a suitable Laser CNC System that would be up to the very small job of cutting Soft Firmness Open Cell Packing Foam Grey to a maximum depth of 100mm (common cutting depths will be 25mm,50mm,700mm and maximum of 100mm. Working within a 400mm x 300mm Cutting space. This would allow me to write my own vector paths and make lower cost bespoke foam inserts for my models.

Cost is a big constraint, as I am a hobbyist not a multinational corporation =).

I am a novice to cutting machines and so any help would be greatly appricated!

Kindest Regards

James
    You probably need to contact the maker of that foam and see what it is made from. MSDS sheet in the US would tell you what happens if its heated or burned. PVC of any kind should not be laser cut or engraved. I don't think that foam is PVC but you need to find out.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I think a cnc router would do you rather than the laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    I think a cnc router would do you rather than the laser
    That's great! I looked into that but didn't couldn't work out the and drill bit sizes and lengths. It would be better that getting toxic fumes for sure!

Any recommendations for a beginning hobbyists?

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a Amana 46272 for doing deep foam also onsrud 56-086