HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches

This is a similar issue as we are having on our dual laser. Any additional input would be really helpful. This has melted twice in the past week.. Just want to make sure we are making the correct moves.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4071-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

going by your photo
    HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-heat-damaged-iec-inlet-jpg

it looks like it could either be due to faulty riveting of the joint between the metal strap & the fuse clip or

a poor connection between the fuse and connector - possibly due to the fuse being under size or the connector not providing enough contact pressure ,

very often the fuse holder can be damaged when a glass fuse is blown by a large fault current
    with a 20mm glass fuse not only does the glass tube explode but the copper fuse wire is vaporised ,
    coating the inside of the fuse holder with a conductive film of copper

a HRC Fuse (High Rupture Capacity Fuse ) should be used as the ceramic tube contains the explosion if you short circuit the mains supply
    the sand filling quenches the arc

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks John! I will give the ceramic fuses a shot!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by VimCommando View Post

Double-check the rating on your main fuse. The ones that came with the machine were rated for 250v/10A, which will not reliably blow at 10A at 120V; this is probably why the switches are melting first (Also 10A rated)

Hmmm as far i know 250v/10A fuses should reliably blow at 10amps /120v (or even 12v ). 250V ratings means that you can use them on 250V mains - they should not "hold" arc after blowing. Automotive fuses cannot be used in 250V (or 120v) mains since they are rated for lower voltage.
    I think "melting switches" problem has more to do with the fact that switch is rated for the same amperage as fuse - which sounds ratcher... echem... interesting choice. Probably components chosen by "use the cheapest" method

Wysłane z mojego GT-N7100 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds to me as the machine is miss-wired somehow, probably done for cheapness, an E-Stop circuit traditionally does not carry high current, it is often just a control relay that in turn removes coil voltage etc from contactor coils and other power controlling devices.
    If these machines or any that are of Chinese origin, the wiring has not always conformed to NFPA79/NEC/CEC.!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So while we have been waiting on the ceramic fuses (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), we replaced the receptacle and put in another glass fuse. This morning that one melted as well. I dissected the last one that melted and it appeared that the glass on the fuse broke, but the wire did not pop. Conversely, the melted outlet this morning had no broken glass, but a popped fuse wire. Keep in mind that this has only started happening in the past few weeks and has happened two separate times on two separate machines. Really the only thing I can think of is it has to be garbage fuses. Maybe I'm using the wrong fuses all together? I am using 10A 5x20mm (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). So, so frustrating.

Downloads
    Uploads

That type of fuse is seldom seen in industrial machinery, especially for power circuits, it would pay to replace with industrial style such as CC or similar type fuses, and suitable fuse holder.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, tried the ceramic fuses and we are still melting. However, the ceramic fuse did not seem to pop. So for some reason, there is so much heat going into the plug it is melting without popping the fuse. Also, this is happening on two different dual laser and started happening around the same time with both. What the bloody hell? I could always get a metal plug inlet, but I don't think that would really be solving the issue.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4083-jpg   HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4081-jpg   HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4082-jpg   HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4084-jpg  

HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4085-jpg   HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4086-jpg   HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4087-jpg   HELP - Blowing Fuses & melting Switches-img_4088-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

with your new photos it looks like its the fuse is making a poor connection

a good quality IEC inlet with a fuse holder like this made by Bulgin is OK up to 10A :-

PF0001/63 BULGIN, Power Entry Connector, Plug, 250 VAC, 10 A, Flange Mount, Quick Connect | Farnell UK

If I guess the Laser power supply takes 120W ( only half of which is converted into the LASER output)
    and the stepper drivers & control is 200W
    then the Laser engraver will only take about 3A from your 110V supply
    what amperage fuse did you use ?

so the question is what else is taking so much power that its melting the inlet ??
    does the engraver have sockets to power a water pump and water chiller ???

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12