erratic engraving and cutting. Grounding?

Thread: erratic engraving and cutting. Grounding?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default erratic engraving and cutting. Grounding?

I have had nothing but trouble with my 100w chinese laser. The first week seemed ok.. now Im getting wildly erratic cutting and engraving.. Im using RDworks. I live in an old home with bad wiring, including outlets not grounded. I installed an 8foot copper rod and ran it directly to the grounding lug on the machine. I also ran the ground wire to the ground on the multi-plug strip that I have the fans, pumps, etc plugged into. This didnt help, things are getting progressively worse. I decided to buy a digital outlet tester that shows ground problems, neutrals, etc. The digital tester still indicates bad ground. Not sure if this is my main issue or not.
    I ran a test, cutting out some wood gears that were perfect.. Ten minutes later, ran the same file, major problems. I have attached a link to youtube video. Im having problems with x axis shifting when engraving text also.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: erratic engraving and cutting. Grounding?

We have been running our chinese Laser Machines for almost 10 years now with no ground wires whatsoever, the usual issue on your case is that when it gets hotter inside the closed enclosure then the control board on the right side also gets hotter, that`s the time it will have a mind of it`s own hehe, probably your air suction blower is not sufficient enough to suck all the fumes and heat inside the enclosure when you are cutting? I know these issues because in the shop I am the technical support on all the CNC machines including Laser machines, the usual problems on chinese lasers are the control boards that goes blank and cannot be detected anymore on the drive PC. but these issues will just pop-up if it experiences emergency scenarios like the materials got burned inside the cabin while working thus producing massive heat then fried the control board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe just maybe sir, it may not be the problem on your unit but it`s still worth a try, I did experience last two years ago I think when you press datum works perfectly it`s when you start cutting material that`s when it goes crazy, still following the design cuts but on a different location and so on thus damaging the whole material, what I did was trace everything, every wire connectors on the whole machine, limit switches checked and made sure there are no resistance when it`s on N.O. (normally open) position because if it does then it will also produce offsetting problem, thenI found out that one of the connectors on X axis drive module going to the control board underneath one of the wires got loose, it`s a 4 wire going to the control board, I just re tighten that loose single wire then the unit runs perfect until now and it took me 2 days trying to find that problem, (green connectors with small flat head screws)

Note: If I can just see your video sir maybe I can have a visual clue on what`s the issue but for some reason the video you posted displays "ACCESS FORBIDDEN"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails erratic engraving and cutting.  Grounding?-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I would take the belts off and push the head around by hand to see if it moves without any resistance. You do not want to do this with the steppers attached as they could produce voltage and blow your drivers. I had a problem where i had greased the rails and that cause what you see. Now I use dry lube on them