Cutting raw pie dough. Can it be done?

Thread: Cutting raw pie dough. Can it be done?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting raw pie dough. Can it be done?

I'm a pie baker with access to an Epilog Zing 40W laser. I've used it to laser engrave the tops of pies, but something struck me this morning. Can I use the laser to cut out intricate shapes and designs in raw pie dough? The dough is only 1/8" thick and contains flour, butter, and water.
    Would the laser "cook" the dough as it's cut, or would it go so fast that it's effect would me marginal? Also, what would I use for a backer? The laser has a vector cutting grid, but it's been used to cut all kinds of material and I'd hate to contaminate the pie dough.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting raw pie dough. Can it be done?

What a cool idea. Normally food products are cut with a water jet, never heard of using a laser. Would love to see some pictures of your laser work on a pie. I think you would only see some cooking on the immediate edge of the cut. Try it and see if it works, proabaly have to play around with power and cutting speed a bit. Maybe butcher paper as a backer? Waxed paper maybe?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll give parchment paper a try as a backer. Waxed paper might melt and contaminate some of the wax into the dough.

Here's a Maple Buttermilk Custard pie I just did earlier this week for Pi Day (3/14).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting raw pie dough. Can it be done?-img_5082-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is soooooo cool And I'll bet yummy too

Parchment might work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE: Don't do this. It's a bad idea. Although technically it can be done, and done very easily, the results were not at all desirable. While cutting, the smoke smelled like burning hair. The stench was strong enough to embed in the dough, and eating a sample of the raw dough was unpleasant. When baked in the oven, the strong burnt-hair smell and taste was less overpowering, but the aftertaste was also unpleasant. So, if you need to laser cut fine detail in pie dough, it's easy and mess-free. However, don't eat it afterward!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's good to know. It was worth a try anyway.