Your experience with diode laser cutters

Thread: Your experience with diode laser cutters

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Your experience with diode laser cutters

I'm looking at laser cutters/engravers atm. I'm finding very conflicting info about power output, and uses. I was first looking at one of those tiny NEJE 1w engravers. But since they have a working size of 38x38mm.... it's rather useless - although would be great for tiny logos. But I feel I would rather have a around 300x300mm working area.

So I found this.
    http://m.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_597312.html
    (5500mw version)

So working area meets my needs. Engraving I believe will be sufficient for timber. So it's the cutting and diode I'm having drama working out what info is correct.

So people with say you can't cut with a small diode. Well looking at some videos I can see there's not much truth to their claims. Yes I understand multiple passes etc. and the other being the claim most diodes are overclocked to run at a higher power hence decreasing their life expectancy.

So... from your 'experience' with one of these sorta machines - what's capable? What can you cut that your happy with? How can I check if a diode is overclocked before I buy? What sorta life should I expect? Can further cooling the heat sink increase life?
    Any other insight would be great to help me decide.

Thankyou