Need Help! CNC router as laser cutter?

Thread: CNC router as laser cutter?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC router as laser cutter?

Hello

I have a CNC router table and wonder how it could be possible to convert it to a laser cutter.
    I want to be able to cut 3-5mm wood with it and I have looked around for complete kits for building a laser cutter but I cant find any.
    What parts do I need for this?

Found a good thread here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...aser%20cutter?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC router as laser cutter?

On my opinion it`s doable but a bit dangerous because like for example an 80 watt laser module will be placed at the back of the machine and stationary because it`s impossible or even more dangerous to let the CNC arm carry the module, so the laser module at the back then use a 3 mirror to redirect the laser beam onto the arm itself, so basically the only load on the CNC arm is only a mirror but not just an ordinary mirror, a special kind of laser mirror for reflecting (metal gold plated) hi watt laser beams, then convert the Z axis on the table so that the table itself that is movable, you cant let the Z axis move the spindle side with mirror or else the beam will now be offset and it`s a disaster, so ya it`s doable but risky.

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to mount a laser tube somewhere, and mirrors to direct the beam to the cutting area. You also need to figure out how to keep dust off of all the mirrors, which would be nearly impossibly to do on a router.
    And switching between router and laser would take a considerable amount of time to get everything aligned.
    A separate machine would be a far better alternative.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Not to mention that routers are designed to be rigid under heavy load, whereas a laser needs to be nimble with a very light load. Quite different applications with quite different mechanics etc.

Keep looking - a simple XYZ kit on curtain-rod style rails with toothed belts for drive shouldn't be hard to find, add tube/chiller/power supply, mirrors, air assist head, and grid bed and you're away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok thanks for the tips, it seem like its better to build/buy a dedicated laser cutter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
    Opt Lasers hehe
    Joke, if you would like any help in decision please let me know. We just launched newest version of the laser heads.