erratic and very strange problems with engraver

Thread: erratic and very strange problems with engraver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default erratic and very strange problems with engraver

I have been having problems with my 100w chinese laser for over a week. All went well for the first week or two. 1st the main power switch failed. Replaced. New switch failed after an hour. Decided to jumper out DPST switch and used an external powerstrip. Began having erratic behavior, such x axis shifting while engraving a section of text, and in the middle of engraving a section of text, suddenly laser head shoots directly up (y axis),comes back to original y coordinate, and resumes. About the same time, the emergency stop switch failed. Replaced. I should mention that it also kicked a 15amp breaker in my house. It doesnt happen with every run but about 50% of the time. I had two electricians check out house wiring, and added a solid 8' copper grounding rod tied directly to machine ground lug. So far, suggestions from supplier havnt resolved problem.. I have watched while it was engraving, and when the shift in x axis occurs, I can see a quick back and forth shudder (just a few mm, then it resumes with lower part of text slightly off in x axis. This was to be my only retirement income, and Im ruining more work than I produce.. Please, any suggestions.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails erratic and very strange problems with engraver-screwup1-jpg  
    Last edited by grandisleman; 02-27-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: erratic and very strange problems with engraver

Quote Originally Posted by grandisleman View Post
    I have been having problems with my 100w chinese laser for over a week. All went well for the first week or two. 1st the main power switch failed. Replaced. New switch failed after an hour. Decided to jumper out DPST switch and used an external powerstrip. Began having erratic behavior, such x axis shifting while engraving a section of text, and in the middle of engraving a section of text, suddenly laser head shoots directly up (y axis),comes back to original y coordinate, and resumes. About the same time, the emergency stop switch failed. Replaced. I should mention that it also kicked a 15amp breaker in my house. It doesnt happen with every run but about 50% of the time. I had two electricians check out house wiring, and added a solid 8' copper grounding rod tied directly to machine ground lug. So far, suggestions from supplier havnt resolved problem.. I have watched while it was engraving, and when the shift in x axis occurs, I can see a quick back and forth shudder (just a few mm, then it resumes with lower part of text slightly off in x axis. This was to be my only retirement income, and Im ruining more work than I produce.. Please, any suggestions.
    I just experienced something else strange I never noticed before. I went to remove some wood from the machine, while it was not powered. I physically moved the gantry to the uppermost y position, and while moving it, the LCD panel flickered, according to how fast I moved the gantry..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I should also have mentioned, Im using RDWORKS software.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just experienced something else strange I never noticed before. I went to remove some wood from the machine, while it was not powered. I physically moved the gantry to the uppermost y position, and while moving it, the LCD panel flickered, according to how fast I moved the gantry..

I can't help with your other problems, but the motor becomes a generator when it is turned. It's feeding power back to the power supply, that why the LCD display flickers.

Default grandisleman??

Did you fix the erratic laser path problem you mentioned? Mine just started doing the same thing. I'm using rdworks and it is a ThunderLaser. Very frustrating!! I have reinstalled rdworks and reset the panel back to factory settings but it continues to jump around messing up the engraving. Any advice is really appreciated!