Help me examine this DigiCarver machine! (Pics)

Thread: Help me examine this DigiCarver machine! (Pics)

Default Help me examine this DigiCarver machine! (Pics)

Hello everyone!

I'm about ready to buy a laser with about an $8k budget maximum, and I'd decided it might be nice to have the US based support and service of a company that imports Chinese machines. I've read all about the various machines out there, as well as with problems trying to get service from a direct manufacturer. I'm still on the fence about importing myself, but DigiCarver is based near me in Oregon, and the gentleman who runs the business is quite friendly and just showed me the laser I'd be buying. It ran well, and would fit my needs. It comes in around $7500 delivered which seems fair for what you get. (Laser, CW-5000 Chiller, Air pump, software) Here are the specs from the website:

DigiCarver -- Computer-programmable machines for cutting, carving and engraving

• Motorized up/down table for focusing on different thicknesses of material ($400 value)
    • Auto-focus, takes the guesswork out of getting the optimum focus ($40 value)
    • Interior lamp for seeing work in progress ($40 value)
    • Air-assist compressor for better, smoother, cleaner, faster and deeper cutting ($60 value)
    • Red dot pointer system to set starting point for project ($200 value)
    • Knife-edge table for support of heavier, larger materials (Usually standard)
    • Honeycomb table for smaller items that would bend or fall through the space between the knife edge bars ($60-80 value)
    • Honeycomb table is iron, not aluminum, for durability and magnetic hold-down of light material.
    • DID WE MENTION FREE SHIPPING TO YOUR CITY?

I'd be getting the DCL-96, which is the 36x24 table, with the RECI 90watt tube.

This laser is made by UPGOAL CNC. ( http://www.upgoalcnc.com/list.php?fid=7 ) I have not been about to find much feedback about that company, but it looks like most Chinese CNC websites- they make lots of different machines. Digicarver gives a 2 year warranty, which is the main reason I'd buy from them.

Here are the pictures I took of the machine today, and I'd love to hear any feedback or comments you all might have. If anyone else has purchased from DigiCarver, I'd like to hear about your experience as well.

I know I could save $2-3k importing myself, but I'd rather tinker less and burn more!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help me examine this DigiCarver machine! (Pics)

Looks like any other machine of that size manufactured in China. Whether the markup is justified really depends on how good the support is from the seller. You could ask if they can provide references.

Downloads
    Uploads

That price isn't bad IF the support is good and the seller stays in business long enough to support it. Having a seller that provided good support who was near to you would be a bonus. Free shipping is a factor too. The pricing quoted for the extra freebies is a bit of hype but the bottom line price is what matters. Get a quote from Boss Laser and Rabbit USA in Ohio for comparison. The specs on the machine are nice, especially if you are getting a genuine RECI tube.

"80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-750 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never seen laser pointer hardware or auto focus hardware like that on any other Chinese machine. That isn't necessarily good or bad. Both of those functions/hardware items could use a serious improvement on most Chinese machines.

"80 Watt” 700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-750 Laser (Similar to the Red Sail)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ryan,
    Will those thin doors on each side allow for longer 1/8" acrylic to extend out either side of the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    Looks like any other machine of that size manufactured in China. Whether the markup is justified really depends on how good the support is from the seller. You could ask if they can provide references.
    If I understand the policy on their website correctly, hey don't offer local support beyond what the original manufacturer is offering. In other words they will only serve as mediators.

The most important thing is that the machine can be inspected and tested by the client locally before purchasing. Personally I would gladly pay 1K (but not more) on top of the actual cost/shipping for this opportunity alone.

rbgerrish, I guess it may be a good idea to get a cost breakdown from China for similar machines, shipping, customs, etc. and see if the markup for local availability is justified.