Newbie CNC router/engraving machines.

Thread: CNC router/engraving machines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC router/engraving machines.

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a cnc router/engraver to cut detail parts out of .040 styrene sheets. Most of the pieces will be small with a few as large as 14" x 7". My interest is to make 1/24 scale items for dioramas. Been searching the net for these machines and find there are dozens of different desk top models to choose from. I don't see the machine being used for anything else such a wood carving, signage or metal carving/cutting. Just need to score details and cut out pieces. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance......

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC router/engraving machines.

A CNC 2015 is sufficient enough on your needs>>>>3AXIS ENGRAVER CNC2015T 300W Router Engraving Drilling Milling Carving Machine | eBay, though if you want faster cuts on styrene I think a laser CNC machine can do the job more faster, it can also do engraving jobs faster.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you KH0UJ, I did see this one and others like it. Looked at this ones as well: CNC USB 3040T Router Engraver/Engraving Drilling and Milling Machine 4Axis. Understand the 3 axis but not sure about the 4 axis. Is there an advantage with the 4 axis?

I had read that laser is faster but that laser cutting left a small burr on the edge of the part. Not sure if all lasers do that but really didn't want to have to de-burr all the parts. Also mentioned was the fumes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I understand the 4 axis, the rotary head and tail stock are the 4th axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyi View Post
    I think I understand the 4 axis, the rotary head and tail stock are the 4th axis?
    Yep meaning you can do shaping on circular tubes (wood, metal, plastic), some example is the horse head on chess boards 3D heads on figurines, for advanced users like me (ehem2x) hehe I can do anything on it from making actual metal screws, threads, etc, it can be like a lathe machine, the coolest part on it is that unlike a lathe machine the bit is just steady but on this kind of machine the bit rotates @ a very high speed (24K) at the same time rotates the actual material, you can control it manually without codes with a USB joystick, on wood and any plastic material it`s just like a piece of cake, you can even use an ordinary 1/8 drill bit on it (bottom portion sharpened like a single flute), it gets more challenging on shaping or cutting metals, versatility wise on a 4 axis CNC you can do almost anything sir if you are fun of making things then the 4 axis CNC is your best bet, gun parts, motor parts, or any product you wish to mold, shape, create, anything, right now im also saving money to buy a 6040 4 axis, that way I have my own CNC at my house, right now we have a total of 9 CNC machines but it`s on my work place not mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you KH0UJ, I did see this one and others like it. Looked at this ones as well: CNC USB 3040T Router Engraver/Engraving Drilling and Milling Machine 4Axis. Understand the 3 axis but not sure about the 4 axis. Is there an advantage with the 4 axis?

I had read that laser is faster but that laser cutting left a small burr on the edge of the part. Not sure if all lasers do that but really didn't want to have to de-burr all the parts. Also mentioned was the fumes.

Ohh sorry I did not noticed you are aiming for the USB 3040 CNC, I think if you want a stable version of a CNC dont get USB type, and yes I know it`s for easy set-up, but on my experience on USB control boards not really stable in terms of running the unit, we have one unit that is a USB control board, I keep on replacing the board for at least a year or 2, until such time the I converted it to a parallel port, that`s the time it got stable, my definition of stability is running the unit 8 hours a day, five days a week, all through out the year mass producing stuff, USB control boards tends to be very sensitive on electrical transient spikes until such time it will just go blank then you have a dead CNC machine, on my experience 2 USB control boards in 3 years is enough, I used a parallel port the third time until now the unit still runs like it`s new, get the parallel port version if you want the CNC to be almost fault free for years to come sir.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking at the differences between the 6040 and 3040 trying to decide based on my needs now and possible in the future. The 3040 for now would be sufficient and for a newbie the price point and capabilities will work. Got a couple of question though, I've read that the 3040 and others do not run well or at all on notebooks (which is what I have) (mac). One of the main reasons is the lack of parallel ports. I'll need to get a desktop unit along with the router. It appears the operating system requires Windows XP or 7, now I haven't purchased a computer in years since owning a mac. Do they even offer Windows XP or 7 anymore? Will the current operating systems from Windows work? Also, I'm learning CAD using Onshape. Have several .stl's and 3D printed parts. Can I utilize Onshape software and convert .stl's?

BTW, I appreciate your help and insight KH0UT....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know you are in the laser forum right? You might get more responses in the CNC router/engraver forum.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    You know you are in the laser forum right? You might get more responses in the CNC router/engraver forum.
    I thought I was?
    CNC router/engraving machines.-screen-shot-2017-03-26-4-32-a

Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking at the differences between the 6040 and 3040 trying to decide based on my needs now and possible in the future. The 3040 for now would be sufficient and for a newbie the price point and capabilities will work. Got a couple of question though, I've read that the 3040 and others do not run well or at all on notebooks (which is what I have) (mac). One of the main reasons is the lack of parallel ports. I'll need to get a desktop unit along with the router. It appears the operating system requires Windows XP or 7, now I haven't purchased a computer in years since owning a mac. Do they even offer Windows XP or 7 anymore? Will the current operating systems from Windows work? Also, I'm learning CAD using Onshape. Have several .stl's and 3D printed parts. Can I utilize Onshape software and convert .stl's?

BTW, I appreciate your help and insight KH0UJ....
    On drive computers, windows 10 can drive it, as long as you have the LPT1 port drivers for the motherboard it should run perfect, buy a motherboard that has a parallel port and windows 10 ready such as this

By the way I use only google sketchup for almost all my CNC work, whether it`s on a router, plasma, laser, all my measurement calculations, sizes, passes, etc. are done on the 3D environment, that`s why I dont really focus on the G-code side of it because I know it can be done in the 3D environment in the first place, Ived been using this kind of technique for years now, CNC work is just the same as mathematics, you can solve the equation using a different solution for as long as it`s always equal to one you know what I mean right? your number one challenge here is time, how to work on it the quickest, fastest and of course the safest way. I still even use google sketchup on galvo CNC laser machines.

it cuts, engraves, hatch plastic and wooden materials in seconds, not in minutes, made me hesitant to use the conventional laser pro table hehe, the only drawback on this unit is the table, anything beyond 2 ft. forget it cant be done using this galvo.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC router/engraving machines.-81eseut3ekl-_sl1500_-jpg   CNC router/engraving machines.-9-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like I've got a lot to learn! I've pretty much decided on the 3040T, so at least I'll have the machine to start with. I will definitely look into the mother board and google sketchup. Again, thank you KH0UJ, even though it looks as if I'm in the wrong place you've been a big help. Decided I'm going to stay here...lol..