Newbie Galvo laser engraver power and speed chart?

Thread: Galvo laser engraver power and speed chart?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Galvo laser engraver power and speed chart?

I am curious if anyone has compiled a basic list of power and speed settings for laser engraving different types of materials at different engraving depths?

I will mainly be engraving raw aluminum, anodized aluminum, or steel. I will need to engrave as deep as about .3mm on occasion. But typically about .1mm. Does anyone know if there's a reference chart for a 30w fiber laser that anyone has made by chance?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Galvo laser engraver power and speed chart?

Dear TenGauge

Don't know where did you get the machine, if it is from China, there are three parameters will affect your engraving depth.

Laser Power: Bigger power, engrave deeper
    Marking speed: Slower , engrave deeper
    Pulse frequency: Lower, engrave deeper

Normally we don't have the measure tools to measure exactly if it is 0.1mm or 0.3mm depth, but you can try with 90% power, 500mm/s speed, 20KHz pulse frequency, and make some adjustment base one the result. If you still can not engrave deep, you can engrave more than 1 time in the same piece.

Hope this will be helpfull.

Warm regards
    Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the info Argus. Yes it is a 30w fiber laser from China by XT Laser. It hasn't come in yet but expecting it in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgusLaser View Post
    Dear TenGauge

Don't know where did you get the machine, if it is from China, there are three parameters will affect your engraving depth.

Laser Power: Bigger power, engrave deeper
    Marking speed: Slower , engrave deeper
    Pulse frequency: Lower, engrave deeper

Normally we don't have the measure tools to measure exactly if it is 0.1mm or 0.3mm depth, but you can try with 90% power, 500mm/s speed, 20KHz pulse frequency, and make some adjustment base one the result. If you still can not engrave deep, you can engrave more than 1 time in the same piece.

Hope this will be helpfull.

Warm regards
    Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1064nm cannot be stopped by prescription eyeglasses or generic clear safety glasses. Specular reflection is just as dangerous as looking at the beam straight on. It doesn't burn the cornea like a CO2 laser. It penetrates the cornea and instantly damages the retina. There little chance of your eye recovering from that. You may see a bright flash, followed by instant pain, then what looks like a reddish cloudy color while your entire field of vision looks like you're viewing the world through a pepper shaker as the particulates from the damage float around in your eye.

Use. Proper. Eyewear. Do not skimp on the price or buy cheap overseas ones for $8.00. You have one shot at safety in this regard.

CO2 lasers are different as they operate at 10640nm. Clear polycarbonate glasses work because a divergent beam in that infrared region cannot easily penetrate plastic or glass.

Remember...we're operating lasers with beams that we can't see. Always be cognizant.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
    1064nm cannot be stopped by prescription eyeglasses or generic clear safety glasses. Specular reflection is just as dangerous as looking at the beam straight on. It doesn't burn the cornea like a CO2 laser. It penetrates the cornea and instantly damages the retina. There little chance of your eye recovering from that. You may see a bright flash, followed by instant pain, then what looks like a reddish cloudy color while your entire field of vision looks like you're viewing the world through a pepper shaker as the particulates from the damage float around in your eye.
    Use. Proper. Eyewear. Do not skimp on the price or buy cheap overseas ones for $8.00. You have one shot at safety in this regard.
    CO2 lasers are different as they operate at 10640nm. Clear polycarbonate glasses work because a divergent beam in that infrared region cannot easily penetrate plastic or glass.
    Remember...we're operating lasers with beams that we can't see. Always be cognizant.
    Poor boy. You watched Star Wars to many times. Real laser is not a Light Saber Sword It`s "reflections" do not fly over room.

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Apparently, safety is of little priority to some...so I'll repeat myself.

Lasers = dangerous
    Reflected laser light = just as dangerous
    Stupid users = super dangerous to themselves and everyone around them

http://web.mit.edu/cohengroup/safety...y%20081711.pdf
    Specular vs. Diffuse Reflection

*edit*

My apologies if I misunderstood the original intent. I just can't afford to toy around with things that could irreversibly damage my eyes...so if I come across as abrasive, it's because I care.