Newbie Antifreeze in CO2 tube / refraction

Thread: Antifreeze in CO2 tube / refraction

Default Antifreeze in CO2 tube / refraction

I've searched the forum and I didn't find an answer on this.

I am a newbie and bought a used laser engraver that has a CW-3000 chiller and a 60W tube. Sadly, the tube broke when we transported the machine. We've gotten a replacement tube and were putting it in, but the weather has dropped to below freezing. I searched the forum and I see that many people use antifreeze in their chiller/tube. I have 2 questions about this:

1. On the ratio of antifreeze to water, do I consider the amount of ALL the water in the cooler and tube, or just the amount of water that's in the chiller? I don't want to put too much.

2. Does antifreeze affect the laser refraction at all? I read somewhere that the antifreeze will pass in front of the laser.

3. Does anyone have another suggestion as to how we may keep our tube heated when it is below freezing? Our machine is in our shop and all we currently have is a space heater.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Antifreeze in CO2 tube / refraction

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchasertx View Post
    I read somewhere that the antifreeze will pass in front of the laser. .
    Where is this somewhere? What idiot wrote it?

CNC lasers, constructions, service

Here are a few places where that search came up. I searched "antifreeze co2 tube".

Similar Threads:• Chinesse spindle RV antifreeze
    •Need Help!- Should I put antifreeze in the coolant?
    • Water Table Antifreeze
    • Cooling laser tube with antifreeze
    • Antifreeze instead of Dowfrost

Downloads
    Uploads

I used RV antifreeze for years but not to keep it from freezing. Tubes operate over a range and too cold might cause problems when you fire it up. I would put a heater in line to bring it up slowly to 15 deg C before turning the laser on. Don't know for sure but RV antifreeze will go way below zero and isn't toxic to be around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

We are co2 laser tube factory.

In cold weather, you can mix the antifreeze with water into the chiller to protect the laser tube from freezing.

When cold weather gone, Please drop the antifreeze wather out and clean the cooling system. Use purified water when it's warm.

Best Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

SPT-Laser
    Are you a good company to deal with? I am finding much difficulty with other laser companies in China. only money matters and they send junk here because the client pays first and has little recourse when products arrive onto North America.

What do you say?

If I may ask,,, not to go off topic.. when does Chinese new year begin?

I have anti freeze in my tube also. But not much... I am attempting to keep room temp above zero. The liquid at no time passes in front on the output lens. This would cause the beam to refract and scatter light to places where it does not belong. It is the same at the Anode end of the tube. The water jacket ends just ahead of the emitter and is in a separate chamber. The water runs in a jacket all along the length of the innner "reaction tube" and ends just shy of the cathode emitter. if that makes sense.

DCTx, Are you in Cumberland by chance?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Yang View Post
    1. Just consider the amout of water in the chiller.
    2. No.
    3. I don't know how to keep the tube heated, maybe a heater or air condition can help? but please don't use the tube when the temperature is below 5°C in order to protect the laser tube.

What is the problem of low room temperature Mr, Yang?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understand 0C. Are you describing thermal shock? Hot excited lasing gas vs cold 5C water?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Sign Wave,

Professional companies can't send out Junk. When do you purchase, Please choose a reliable company.

For the antifreeze, not put into laser tube. Please add antifreeze to chiller with water.

Best Regards

Emily

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Yang View Post
    water chiller can heating function. make sure inside and outside the glass tube doesn't have big temperature difference, otherwise the glass will broken easily.
    Not sure I answer your question properly..
    very good reply. I understand and we are in agreement. DoJay /M'goy

Quote Originally Posted by SPT-Laser View Post
    Hello Sign Wave,

Professional companies can't send out Junk. When do you purchase, Please choose a reliable company.

For the antifreeze, not put into laser tube. Please add antifreeze to chiller with water.

Best Regards

Emily
    Understood.

I do business with SInjoe Laser co. and BJ Reci. Sinjoe steal money and send junk.. but Reci also play part in deception. I try many times to contact Reci for to try and figure out problems but they take a long time to reply or dont reply at all. Not good for business especially if I have mind to buy many more units in the near future...

What would you suggest for a miliamp meter on Cathode line to measure tube current...?

will a tube fail if is it left unused for a time? say one year? Reci tube has metal to glass seal. I think it doesn't leak but i dont know.

Thank you, everyone for your responses. They helped so much! The temperature has gone back up here in Texas, so I haven't tried the antifreeze in the chiller. But if we do use it, it was very good advice to empty the antifreeze from the chiller once the weather is warm again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since when does it freeze in Tx??? Youre not in Canada!! Its supposed to freeze in Canada.. Not Texas!!