about to buy a chinese laser co2 machine - advice required - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: about to buy a chinese laser co2 machine - advice required

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: about to buy a chinese laser co2 machine - advice required

I am not in Birmingham and have nothing to do with them. I am by Birmingham and that is the reason I went to look at these machines. I thought I was doing someone a favour because I had found a decent machine with some good customer service.
    Sorry for trying to help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mark747 View Post
    I am not in Birmingham and have nothing to do with them. I am by Birmingham and that is the reason I went to look at these machines. I thought I was doing someone a favour because I had found a decent machine with some good customer service.
    Sorry for trying to help
    why so touchy? i just said good find. and also pointed out that i wouldnt buy that as it doesnt support multi colour cuts, had you read the thread you would of noticed ive already bought one

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just as an FYI for others looking looking at a cheap Chinese laser, replacing the Chinese supplied controller with a decent, standard-based one is very simple. So, if your favoured laser doesn't support different colours, get a controller that does.

An Arduino/RAMPS combo running decent firmware, a TinyG or Smoothie board will run you from $20-100 and completely transforms your toolpath.

I have all three and they all offer much more than your average Chinese controller. I have a TinyG running over Bluetooth, a Smoothie connected by Ethernet and controlled via the web, and replacing the existing controller is a breeze.

Using stepper-motor equipped laser mechanisms, higher resolution is always better and the ability to get 1/128 or 1/256 steps with advanced motion, jerk, acceleration, etc. should justify the upgrade alone.

As a mixed Mac/PC/Linux user, the ability to use open-source, rather than pirated software that only runs on windows is a massive improvement. For my current CNC and 3DP machines I use a raspberry Pi to front end the device, effectively giving each machine its own dedicated computer.

I viewed my first laser as a box of donor hardware to which I would add the electronics I wanted. Budget £100/$150 and you can transform that clunky old controller into something swish and modern.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123