Universal Laser vs. Epilog

Thread: Universal Laser vs. Epilog

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Universal Laser vs. Epilog

I'm a Technology Education teacher in Orange County, NY that is currently working with two chinese laser engravers. I would like to work towards getting an Epilog or Universal laser around 60 or 80 watts that does at least 18x24" (possibly larger). We need something that is reliable and comes with a service contract so I can call someone if the machine goes down. I know these are big bucks$$. I will need them to have ethernet capabilities and I am working with middle school students cutting/engraving wood and acrylic. My issue is right now we have more equipment than we can keep running because it is of lower quality with no maintenance contracts. There isn't enough time to teach kids and fix machines on a daily basis!! Any thoughts would be appreciated on this. Thank you!!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Universal Laser vs. Epilog

Unless someone comes up with a great deal on one of these you won't be able to justify. Most people are using Chinese laser units or parts. Buy cheap and be prepared to replace stuff. Operate it wrong like too much power or lack of coolant and be prepared to replace stuff. I'm sure this post will collect some vendors but figure around $3000 which is 1/10th of your industrial units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm new to laser engraving. I got a free Brightstar B500S old version machine. I'm working on making the repairs to get it up and running properly. I would take the time to teach the kids to repair the machines along with how to use them. That to me would seem more productive than just ordering a new machine.

Once they get out in the real world I'm willing to bet they will have to do trouble shooting on machines if they decide to go into that area of work. It would also help them with critical thinking and problem solving instead of if i have a problem just call someone to fix it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understand what you are saying but I am a 7th grade Technology Teacher working with a 12 year old student. I am introducing them to several different manufacturing technologies including laser engraving, CNC machining, and 3D printing all within a 10 week period. Working with 320 students throughout the year does not allow for troubleshooting a machine with students.