Cutting masking tape with laser... to apply then paint through...

Thread: Cutting masking tape with laser... to apply then paint through...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting masking tape with laser... to apply then paint through...

Scanned he threads and the masking questions all seem (reasonably) to be about preventing scorch marks in wood. Seems what I want to do is odd. I want to use my soon to arrive Makeblock kit (I'm calling it my 'big boy Erector set') to cut shapes out of a masking material of some sort and then apply the mask to an object to spray paint. Anyone tried this? I sure there's some miracle product in 3m's catalog that's not too papery (won't tear) not too plastic/vinyl-like (won't stretch like a vinyl sticker) like maybe some super thin PU to which I could then apply something like their 467MP double sided adhesive to? [If you haven't played with that particular product it's awesome- it's basically the goo from a sticker without the sticker; clear and no substrate] At my local electronics surplus store I came up with some .0005" fiberglass insulation sheets, but something tells me that hitting those with the laser is asking for trouble in a Chernobyl kinda way...

Thanks, and pics to follow when the goodness (and the modifications) begin

-M

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting masking tape with laser... to apply then paint through...

Regular old masking tape cuts just fine with a laser. I have found minimal air assist and getting the min power for the corners set are the most important factors.

I place the masking tape on the baking paper to prepare it for cutting. If what I intend to mask it too big for one strip I overlap strips to make a sheet of masking tape and cut from that.

For things such as lettering I will lay another piece of masking tape over the top to keep it all in place and pick off the baking paper from the pieces I need to stick.

I do have trouble with bleed but that is not the lasers fault. I just spray with some clear first to fill the bleed. Or find good quality masking tape that is wide enough to be useful

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting masking tape with laser... to apply then paint through...

The painting with clear is a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. Particularly if it's one of those 'flexible' paints meant for car bumpers... hmmm. Me likey. That 467MP I mentioned comes in nice big rolls, already on backing, I could just add regular masking paper to it, paint it for extra goodness, run it on low (prolly only going to buy a 2500mw laser anyway) then it gets hit with the paint to hold it together in the intricate parts while the backing is peeled off.

Thanks man, I knew someone had been here before