Cinese laser engraver problem

Thread: Cinese laser engraver problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cinese laser engraver problem

Hi all,

Back in February I got a cheap laser cuter / engraver from EBay which has been working great until a week or so ago. The motion control works fine with the head moving correctly but the laser is not firing. There is no deflection on the laser current meter and no laser. Checking things over I have found that the fan in the power supply / laser controller box is not spinning and am wondering if this box is the point of failure. I am not an expert in these machines but the way I see it the problem is most likely with either this box or the laser tube itself. I can get a replacement box from AliExpres but I would like to do some further trouble shooting to make sure this is the problem. Can anyone suggest some trouble shooting steps I might perform to check things further before I buy this box.

Thanks

Ian

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cinese laser engraver problem

A packing foam peanut tied to a piece of cotton and suspended close to HV input at rear of tube will move toward the connection if there is HV output which may indicate tube problem.

Cheap chinese imports often arrive with little life i.e. gas and catslyst remaioning in tubes as they decay during lengthy ship journeys and warehousing why only direct from factory tubes are normally available if you stock them they are decaying all the time. they are also very succeptable to over driving to many milliamps or overheating temp of coolant over 75 deg F which can kill tubes in less than an hour.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a You Tube video on troubleshooting a tube and power supply. A bit more detail than using a packing peanut. Google it.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks both,

The YouTube video was interesting but the power supply is different to mine so not as helpful as I was hoping. But I have now ordered a replacement power supply and will see whether that cures it or whether I need a new tube.

Z