Newbie $4K Budget - Buy or Build?

Thread: $4K Budget - Buy or Build?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question $4K Budget - Buy or Build?

I'm in the market to purchase my first CO2 laser cutter/engraver. My budget is around $4000 (including shipping to Canada), so I'm aware that my options are relatively limited. Even a used Trotec/Boss/Epilog looks pretty far outside of my price range. The Glowforge looks amazing, but I need a machine ASAP and who knows when those will actually ship. I was checking out Full Spectrum lasers, but the reviews look mixed at best, so I'm a little leery about purchasing one. Direct-from-China lasers (on sites like Ali Express) seem quite risky too, so unless there's something I'm missing, I believe my two best options are to either:

Buy a Chinese laser shipped from the US or Canada (like this)
    New USB Port 60W CO2 Laser Engraving Cutting Machine ENGRAVER Wood Cut 110V | eBay

OR

Build one
    by buying parts from California Sacramento CO2 laser engraving cutting machine & Parts. Purchase or rental. Electronics Supplier in Northern California for PID temperature controller,brushless dc water pump,laser controller,laser power supply, or this kit: https://buildyourcnc.com/blackToothL...dEngraver.aspx

It's very possible that there's a company and/or laser that I haven't considered, so if you think I can make a better choice for the money, please let me know. Any and all help is extremely appreciated. If my options really are between those two though (buying one on eBay or building one with parts/a kit), which do you think is the best/smartest choice?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: $4K Budget - Buy or Build?

If you need a machine asap, you can likely skip the build part I think.

Do not make it out of wood (like the kit). that's a recipe for a total loss IMO. Try seeing what spark lasers smallest one costs - in BC, my brother was impressed with there machines (larger machines at least) and likely not too much over budget (and worth it).

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TheRocket View Post
    ...but I need a machine ASAP...
    And that narrows your options from two to one. Building any machine, even from a kit, takes a serious amount of time which you don't sound like you have.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cheap Chinese lasers have one serious setback they can spend months on ships and then in warehouses and tubes can arrive with very little life, so if you must go this way I wouuld suggest shipping direct from factory express rather than buying cheaply pre imported units that may have spent 6 months at sea and 6 more in storage. Cheap Co2 tubes do not store well otherwise everyone would carry a spare, they start losing catalyst and gas as they leave factory and continue to do so. Try and ensure a guarantee on tube life and pay via means that you can make a claim if it dies within a week, this is an area you will often get what you pay for, pay peanuts and you will probably get a friday afternoon special put together by chimps!!

Downloads
    Uploads

I second the idea of spark laser if they have something that works and in stock....and I know he's got some new stock coming as I have a "upgrade" tube on the shipment list. What I don't know is if he has any machines for stock or if they are already sold.

What size do you need?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Stay away from FSL and Ebay lasers you'll have nothing but problems. Automation Technology is most likely your best option in your price range, a better option would be Rabbit Laser USA their both near the Canadian border which should cut down on shipping.