Engraving Laser Addon Kit?

Thread: Engraving Laser Addon Kit?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Engraving Laser Addon Kit?

I would like to add a laser to my CNC gantry type router to do engraving.I am running Mach 3 SW.
    Not new to CNC but I have not done any work with lasers. My goal would be to have
    a laser system r that would engrave wood, leather and metal. Also, maybe cut out thin wood and plastic.
    I am not sure on type of laser or strength required.
    I have USB communications with extra pins and ports available.
    Ideally a system that I could bolt on, plug in and do some engraving/cutting.
    Then remove for "normal" router operations.
    Any suggestions and advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Engraving Laser Addon Kit?

I think the noxious fumes on some materials could poison you. I like the idea myself though even with that said.

The laser diodes might do the job for you. I have seen videos of people taking the laser diodes out of CD writers and engraving plastic with them.

I had a user put a laser on a table and used it to cut cowhides to patterns. Stinky!

Dennis
    Super Tech & Associates Main Web Home Page

Downloads
    Uploads

I considered doing the same thing and my research led me to the following conclusion.... The low cost diode laser "kits" they sell for add ons to 3d printers or routers and such are ok, but the power is very limited, so what it can cut or engrave is also limited. They sell low cost 40w water cooled co2 laser engraving machines imported from China on Ebay. For what they cost (less than $400 delivered) you can do a lot more with it and leave your CNC router for routing projects. The China machines already have water cooling, exhaust fans etc and work even better with some simple, cheap upgrades (like an air assist etc) but for the price, none of the add on lasers I've seen come close unless you want to spend lots more money than you gain by using your router as your base CNC. Additionally your driver and software for your router is likely not going to be able to do engraving due to the nature of the drivers inability to send laser on/off pulses quickly and will have limited use. There are some low cost stepper drivers that are getting closer to decent laser engraving (smoothieboard etc). If you have the money for a larger more powerful laser add on, you're still better off getting a dedicated laser machine imho.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.. My current system is using the smooth stepper.
    I believe a dedicated laser engraving machine is the best way to go ...
    but I do not have any floor space to add another machine.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks

I just ordered a J Tech 3.8w laser today to do engraving on mdf and birch. no big plands to cut things, but it does seem to be able to cut thin stuff and thicker stuff with multiple passes. I plan to add it to my cnc router. i am going to probably have it set up over the next few weeks!

check out there website. Laser and Driver Combo Kits | Product Categories | J Tech Photonics, Inc. i will let you guys know how it goes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You will need good extraction for fumes, and make sure you do not laser PVC it produces particularly noxious and dangerous fumes.