China 50W laser Z Axis motor setup. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: China 50W laser Z Axis motor setup.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: China 50W laser Z Axis motor setup.

Last edited by Labmaster; 01-21-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: double post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a update on the project.

I finally made the decision to rip out all the electronic components and to rearrange them to have a cleaner installation of all the additional components that involved with the z axis motorization and additional compnents like the two 24V / 230V relay for switching the fume extractor and the air support on/off.
    First i made two new mounting plates from shiny white 5mm PS boards, one for the bottom and one for the backside wall.
    For the future i planned to replace the original CO2 Tube with a Reci 80W and a Reci Power-supply, so i already reserved and prepared the installation place including the correct thread holes, for it. This is why the original Tube Power supply looks a little bit lost at the big empty place at the moment.
    I also replaced the two original 110V US mains connectors (for the air compressor and the water pump) with european 220V standard connectors (IEC C13).
    Additionally i added a third M542 Stepper driver as i hatted to have the y-axis disconnected when doing a round engraving job, so the external round engraver jig connector gets a own driver that will be connected to the U axis of the controller. (all 4 axis of the controller are used then, i hope this will work as expected :-) )

Next is, to rewire the whole thing. Solder Iron already heated :-)
    When this is done i will go further building a new laserhead mount that is adjustable in height and y-axis to get the laser beam aligned perfectly.
    After this i will go further with a adjustable tube mount, any progress will be posted here.

Right at this moment i'am thinking of adding switches to all flaps and doors and connecte them to the door Protect input and the laser power enable input.
    Would this be enought to reach a lower Laser Class rating on the whole machine ?

Best regards,
    Walter

Last edited by Labmaster; 01-21-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another day and more progress:

Today I finished some already started tasks.
    Above the pictures I explain what i have done

The lower limit switch of the Z-axis (lower table switch)

The upper limit switch of the Z-axis (upper table switch)

Modified the Y-axis limit switch to have the switch-point adjustable by a screw

Finally installed the ammeter (for measuring the mA of the tube current)

Removed the original Laser-head mount and made a new one that is now adjustable in height and Y-axis, this is the easiest way to get the beam from the second mirror to the center of the nozzle

Thanks to the user "Bratan" i had not to design a own proper tube mount, instead i downloaded and printed a ready to use design (printed on a Ultimaker II).
    By using some pieces of the original mount foam the size fitted the original tube perfectly.

Maybe someone may ask what this small dots on the base-plate of the tube are ?
    They are rivets, i have build a construction of aluminum U-profiles that went under this base-plate to make it stiffer.
    On the sides, instead of using washers, i put big and stiff aluminum blocks on top of the mounting screw holes.

Best regards,
    Walter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work so far. I like the tube mounts and I really should move my ammeter to the outside of the laser

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Had some time to go further on the Laser:
    I decided to rearange the IO Panel a bit.

First i used a dremel with a millbit inserted and made some metalmess on the laser housing :-)
    I put some sticky tape to the back to have all the small and dangerous metal particles collected and prevent them getting into the electronics.

I designed a new layout and milled it from a black 2mm fiberglass plate

The D-Sub connector on the bottom is the 24V control output for the Fume Extractor unit that we finaly bought (a BOFA AD Oracle)

I even made some progress in rewiring the whole unit and so had the first chance to get the Z axis stepper up and running.
    After fiddling around with the parameters (speed, acceleration, distance per steps ....) the Z axis runs smooth as silk now.
    The big NEMA34 stepper driven with 60V and the 2:1 gear ration was the right decision. The drivesystem is not oversized but the setup was even not critical.
    Autohoming (Autofocus) works, the 3 relais for switching the aircompressor, the internal Fan/external fumeextractor and the waterpump/chiller even works as expected.

Next step is getting the Co2 Tube running again and to setup all the mirrors. Readjusting should be a piece of cake now, as on all important parts i made some modification to have better and easier alignment options.
    I now can shift the whole mirror units to get the beam to center and use the mirror tilt adjustments for getting the beam parallel to the corresponding axis.

We will see, i will post results when it is done.

best regards,
    Walter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails China 50W laser Z Axis motor setup.-1978-jpg  
    Last edited by Labmaster; 02-12-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Labmaster View Post
    Had some time to go further on the Laser:
    I decided to rearange the IO Panel a bit.

First i used a dremel with a millbit inserted and made some metalmess on the laser housing :-)
    I put some sticky tape to the back to have all the small and dangerous metal particles collected and ot prevent them form getting into the electornics.

Then i designed a new layout and milled it on a black 2mm glassfiber plate

The D-Sub connetor on the bottom is the 24V control output for the Fume Extractor unit that we finaly bought (a BOFA AD Oracle)

I even made some progress in rewiring the whole unit an so had the first chance to get the Z axis stepper up and running now.
    After fiddling around with the parameters (speed, acceleration, distance per steps ....) the Z axis runs smooth as silk now.
    The big NEMA34 stepper driven with 60V and the 2:1 gear ration was the right decision, the drive is not oversized but the setup was even not critical.
    Autohoming (Autofocus) works, the relais for switching the aircompressor, the Fumeextractor and the waterpump/chiller even works as expected.

Next step is get the Co2 Tube running again and to adjust the mirros. Readjusting should be a piece of cake now, as on all important parts i made some modification to have better and easier alignment options.
    I can now shift the whole mirror units to get the beam to center and use the mirror adjustments only for getting the beam parallel to the corresponding axis.

We will see, i will post results when it is done.

best regards,
    Walter
    Great job ! I need to do a similar hack to mine. My chassis is an older one and lacks lot'0'switches. BTW where did you source your finger troff? I found the smaller stuff almost impossible to find. Im in the states.-Sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With "finger troff" i guess you mean the cable duct ?
    I bougth these from a germany supplier

something like this:
    https://www.phoenixcontact.com/online/portal/us?uri=pxc-oc-itemdetailid=3240278&library=usen&tab=1

but i guess there are plenty of US brands available.

best regards,
    Walter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, precisely. thanks for the link.
    -Sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok folks,
    got the tube and its powersupply running again after all the rewiring mess.
    Next step was to do a final adjustments on all optical parts, where i found a problem then.

Russ explains exactly this problem caused by a false laserhead design here in his video:

I myself made a CAD drawing from the head and exported some pictures of it:

So far no real hardware change needed but i have to to adopt the adjustems to this design flaw.

best regards,
    Walter

Last edited by Labmaster; 02-14-2016 at 02:24 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@ Walter: I know its been well over a year now. Im finally getting back to my laser.
    a few questions if you may.
    1: How are you using your Z table controller etc..
    2: are you using a auto height sensor for your Z?

Thanks again and great job Walter! -S

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

i'am using the z axis control for laserjobs that requiring different z levels during a single run.
    I have no auto high sensor yet.

But i'am otherwise a little bit frustrated with the laser itself.
    The laserbed (the metal frame around the laserbed) is not flat an so the linear rails are not moving freely on every possition and this causes some very wierd gemometry problems.
    I i find time, i will remove tghe whole metal frame and exchange it or grind it down on a even surface.
    best regards,
    Walter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Walter, I finally got the last of my parts. Im about to tear into my wiring and rewire the entire unit. (I sudo did this when I got the machine. but in truth its not to my liking.
    Im going to lay it out similar to your arrangement. curious now that your setup is complete. (if anything can ever be complete) are you satisfied. would you have laid it out differently? My main PS is a 130W unit along with a 80W Reci knockoff
    so Ill need a large spot for it. your arrangement looks like it'll just work. Also it looks like you have 3 stepper controllers And one laying on its side. why the need for 4? XYZ... is it for a rotary option?
    So many projects so little time.
    -Sam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast