Glowforge, Too good to be true? - Page 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge, Too good to be true?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Glowforge, Too good to be true?

That is not a glowforge specific problem, that goes for all laser cutters.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC8 View Post
    That is not a glowforge specific problem, that goes for all laser cutters.
    Other lasers don't show people using them on their kitchen table with no exhaust for the smoke and fumes.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, tried to contact them, but no reply yet. 3 days ago.
    Well.. I give up..

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Andrew - what happens when polycarbonate or urethane are laser cut or engraved?

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure what happens when you laser cut PC, but when you put too much heat to it, it bubbles like lava. It readily absorbs moisture from the air.
    The fabricate with it using heat, you normally stick it in an oven at 200 degrees F for about a day or so. That dries it out so that the exact forming temperate can be achieved without it bubbling up.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ars Technica has a post on Glowforge:
    We use a $2,000 Glowforge to make stuff out of frickin? lasers | Ars Technica
    They are usually pretty good on tech.

Steve

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Thanks Andrew - what happens when polycarbonate or urethane are laser cut or engraved?
    Combustion products you really don't want to breathe. For polycarbonate: HAZARDOUS PRODUCTS OF COMBUSTION:
    Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, bisphenol A, diphenyl carbonate, phenol and phenol
    derivatives. Traces of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, aldehydes and acids. (http://web.mit.edu/rocketteam/www/us...ycarbonate.pdf )

For urethanes:"Burning produces intense heat, dense smoke, and toxic gases such as carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen, and traces of cyanide...Other combustion products are hydrogen cyanide, aromatic and Aliphatic hydrocarbons... Vapors from hot wire cutting can be irritating and
    result in coughing. The vapors may contain trace amounts of toluene diisocyanate (TDI) or diphenylmethane diisocyanate (MDI). http://harknessindustries.com/wp-con...RevFeb2014.pdf

Andrew Werby
    Website

Downloads
    Uploads

Needless to say, a good ventilation system is a must on a laser.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Needless to say, a good ventilation system is a must on a laser.
    Yes, but the GLowforge promotinal videos show it being used on a kitchen table, with no ventilation. As if it were an inkjet printer.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

just out of interest I see they have both air assist and purge air for the lenses now (plus intake and exhaust air): Air assist and flame reduction - Glowforge Owners Forum

I believe the normal model has a port for you to stick a hose in and stick it out a window (take that, nature!) and then there's that optional charcoal and hepa filter doohickey that means you theoretically don't need to vent it although they don't seem to be able to say how long that will last or exactly how much replacement filters will cost. So yeah.

I also saw that the "Pro" model has some pretty must have features - a pass through function for "infinite" length material, a more powerful laser with better optics and crucially for me - better solid state thermoelectric cooling.

I think it's pretty interesting, mainly for my girlfriend who is currently enjoying her silhouette cutting machine for making various arts and crafts - this is an ideal step up given the focus on making it user friendly (and for that matter desk friendly).

My only real concern after reading up on it all is the cloud based functionality. If their service is down, then so is your glowforge... if the company vanishes in a year or two (or should that be month or two?), your glowforge is rendered next to useless.... I saw one video where the boss chap mentioned they had a "back up" plan using open source firmware which basically turns the glowforge into a somewhat expensive simple g-code following laser cutter... far from ideal really.

Balancing it all up, I decided to just go for it and stick in a preorder for one for the missus at the discounted price. Hopefully it will be great for her and maybe i'll get to use it occasionally! Now I just hope it turns up....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most of the reviews I have read on Reddit have not been flattering to say the least.

It seems the Glow Forge has put their focus on marketing and everything else has taken a backseat. As mentioned itt, the reviews from World Maker faire all revolved around the machines not working as advertised or not working entirely.

IMO when I read they were branding a laser plotter as a laser 3d printer I immediately became skeptical. I read a quote by the CEO (in response to a technical question) that they were not targeting sophisticated makers, but instead non tech savvy consumers. That's all I needed to know. Having said that it seems like a decent machine for 2k (50% pre order price) if it is even close to operating as advertised.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, notice this thread has not been updated since late 2015.

I'm a complete and utter noob - never owned or even used a laser cutter before.

I plan to make cool glowy things out of plexiglass, LEDs, microcontrollers, electrons and computation.

I am looking at pre-ordering a Glowforge Pro + Air Filter, at the price today of:

Glowforge Pro + Air Filter $5,995.00

Glowforge Basic + Air Filter $3,745.00

Glowforge Basic $2,995.00

The delivery date is March 2017 (actually, glowforge's site says 4 months, from today)

What are peoples thoughts about this machine, the two long delays, the skepticism around the product?

Do y'a ll think this is a good buy?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast