Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order

Hi Guys,

I have had lasers before, but this is my first Chinese laser. As such I intend to share my experience with Thunder Laser, as each step with the order happens I will update this thread for the community, to help others that may wish to import.

Machine ordered:
    Mars 130 Plus laser
    + With EFR ZN-1650 130w tube
    + Upgrade to 5200 Water chiller from 5000 water chiller
    + Pass-through to be sealed with metal

+ Tube is longer than machine, to be enclosed in metal extension on machine

Extras Ordered:
    - extra 2 inch head and lens
    - extra 4 inch head and lens
    - extra 2 inch focal lens
    - extra 4 inch focal lens
    - extra power supply
    - extra motherboard + other boards on system and RDC6442G lcd controller panel
    - extra servo motor
    - extra servo motor driver
    - molybdenum laser reflection mirrors - QTY 6
    - 6 meter extra x, y belt
    - extra open flap sensor
    - extra honeycomb and frame
    - extra screws for mirror mounts and lens

Events & Experience (so far):
    1) 6-27-2015 - started talking to Nolan @ Thunder Laser - Nolan was very prompt to answer
    2) 7-9-2015 - Placed order with Nolan at Thunder Laser - To ship within 3 weeks
    3) 7-10-2015 - Wired 30% deposit to Thunder Laser, Nolan confirmed receipt - laser to ship within 3 weeks

Similar Threads:
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w, Thunder Laser Mars-130 (130w), Signature Rotatory Engraver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order

Hi Keith,

I think these reviews and timelines are wonderful help tools for anyone interested in lasers. It can really help folks make informed decisions on their purchases especially when buying overseas.
    I know it helped me a lot reading the reviews from others before me. It upped my confidence level considerably.
    Keep us all informed along the way. It really is good reading.

Gozzie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Photo of exhaust and the plate Thunder Laser is adding to seal the pass-through gap.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-1-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-dam-board-pass-door-jpg  
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w, Thunder Laser Mars-130 (130w), Signature Rotatory Engraver

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nolan, yes I received the video thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Keith,

I know you watched my review of my mars90 from thunder laser, now it's my turn to watch yours Really curious for your review on this large machine compared to your domestic machines. I'm not sure your plans with it, guessing large through cutting? I be curious on the engraving detail work. With it being such a huge machine I'm sure it will loose some detail work, again, just curious what the differences will be. As you know you're only paying a fraction so there has to be give somewhere.

We've gone weeks running the mars90 8 hrs a day. Last month it paid for itself. Only 'upgrade' I did is run shop air to it with a 120 volt solenoid that I plugged into the output for the air compressor output so the machine turns the 'air' on and off.

Killer machine, software takes minutes to learn and is super easy.

We just recently plugged the ethernet port into our router and now we can download and START files in another room! So nice when the designer can download files wireless!

Sorry for the ramble and hijack! Just excited as these machines prove you dont have to spend tons of money to get great results! Should have my second machine in a month!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2fast looking forward to receiving it, planning on using it for cutting, hoping it lives up to expectations

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Little update on the progress so far

7-23-2015 Received video of laser working
    7-23-2015 Thunder laser says the laser is ready to ship! Asked us to send the remaining 70% of payment
    7-28-2015 Remaining 70% wire transferred to Thunder Laser
    7-30-2015 Nolan notified me they had sent the laser to the warehouse to prepare for shipping
    8-12-2015 I emailed Nolan to check on the order and if it has shipped. Says yes it has shipped but no shipping info yet?

So far communication has been good, but they are a little behind the initial 3 week timetable we were given. We're now a little over 4 weeks in and I am told it has shipped but we have no shipping info yet or an eta.

Last edited by KeithOKC; 08-12-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think it sits at the china shipping facility for a while before going anywhere. Hopefully it's simple as they dont have any info either

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks got the forms. Have a great weekend!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Update:
    8-18-2015 Was contacted by thunder laser's shipping forwarder. Very nice person, very professional. Sent the documents we needed to import the laser over 2 days later
    8-22-2015 Laser arrived in USA. Extra $319.42 china to us freight forwarder charge and fees, on top of the $475 us to china shipping from Thunder laser.
    9-10-2015 Laser clears customs and ready to ship to us. USA La to oklahoma shipping $710.00 + all other fees. - Wired money to Customs Broker

Thoughts so far:

+ Transit is moving smooth.

- It's looking like my total transit and importing bill will be around $2396.44. This is about ($400) more than I expected at the max. Duties and taxes were not to bad, it's the shipping charges ($475), destination delivery charges ($319.42), unloading charges ($101.73), and inland shipping ($712) that are getting expensive quick..

- I was surprised at the extra $319.42 destination delivery charge, I thought the $475 would include most of the fees to get the laser stateside and then I would have to pay duties and taxes and such. The duties and taxes were expected, the extra $319.42 on top of all the other fees was not. ($319.42 = AMS charge, ddc charge, d/o fee, pier pass, clean truck, chassis fee, psf, port security charge).

- Next up they will load the laser and transport it to Oklahoma ($712 fee). This is about $250 more than Houston would have been I now realize. Live and learn for next time.

+ If all goes as planned I should have it in the next week or two, about a month ahead of schedule!

Last edited by KeithOKC; 09-10-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nolan,

The $319.42 destination delivery charge on top of the $475 shipping is what took me by surprise, I'll shoot this over to you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I finally was able to get the boxes out using a farm jack + jack stands.

I don't have it running yet but I thought I'd share some photos of the unboxing.

Notes:
    1. Most of it appears to be in very good condition after the travel overseas.
    2. Spare cutting honeycomb was a bit dinged up (see photos)
    3. They appear to have sent me the wrong mirrors. Cheaper gold mirrors instead of the Molybdenum laser mirrors I was told will come with it. This is problematic as 130 watt will crack these mirrors fairly quickly due to the heat. That's why I speced the molybdenum laser mirrors. I have an email into Nolan @ Thunder laser on this, I hope they will send replacements.
    4. I appear to be short the control board spares I ordered. Email in to Nolan @ Thunder laser on this as well.
    5. On the tube there is a black spot just below the end (see photo) unsure if this normal, or anything to worry about? Also the black bands holding the power cables to the tube, do those need removed or can I leave them during operation?
    6. Everything else seems ok, I will know more once we get it wired up.
    7. Photos of unpacking below. Note the photo with the double doors. It's hard to imagine how big this thing is without a size comparison, we just barely cleared those double doors with only 2" on each side!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20150911_120454-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20150911_121018-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20150917_170251a-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20150917_170433-jpg  

Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20150917_170255-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20150929_140130-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-2015-gold-mirror-jpg   Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-2015-spare-lcd-board-missing-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nolan,

Once I used the alcohol I saw the mirror turned silver. Thanks!

Let me know what the tech says about the black spot on the tube after the holiday. Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Very interesting thread for both seller and actual and future buyers. This type of on-line service observation build confidence and bring customers. Go On!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nolan,

I sent you an email and also tried to call you on your skype account since it should be daytime there now. Machine stopped working after less than 30 minutes use. It was engraving then mid way through the engraving it kept moving but stopped firing. Then it did not fire for the cutting, just moved over the area and did nothing. I've tried restarting the laser. It will not even do a test pulse. Even tried a test pulse before the first mirror by the tube but it would not mark the paper. Appears to be broken right now, laser will not fire. Please contact me back as soon as possible, today/night if possible. Thank you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I suspect it's the tube, that black spot has spread to a new location and I can see tiny cracks in the glass

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOKC View Post
    Hi Nolan,

I sent you an email and also tried to call you on your skype account since it should be daytime there now. Machine stopped working after less than 30 minutes use. It was engraving then mid way through the engraving it kept moving but stopped firing. Then it did not fire for the cutting, just moved over the area and did nothing. I've tried restarting the laser. It will not even do a test pulse. Even tried a test pulse before the first mirror by the tube but it would not mark the paper. Appears to be broken right now, laser will not fire. Please contact me back as soon as possible, today/night if possible. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Review of Thunder Laser - Mars 130 Plus Order-20151008_233359-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, the tube is gone. The spot was probably an imperfection in the glass that didn't play well with the high voltage and burned through the inner tube, ruining the laser chamber. This happened to me, although I didn't notice anything before the problem, but mine lasted about 30 minutes as well.

If the problem is exactly like mine, then you might see some glow on the outer chamber and realize that the looping tube is to make the gas entrance to the inner laser chamber longer than the straight path. Path of least resistance for the electricity.

I would imagine they will send another tube....hopefully they package better than Shenhui |(6 tubes defective or broken in shipping) Unfortunately, you'll be on the hook for some import fees again but less so if sent DHL. I ended up with a tube from Coletech after spending 100's on import fees for broken tubes....I recommend their packaging....foam on the inside around the tube, foam on the outside of the box too! Good luck, I don't wish my experience on anyone!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer View Post
    Yep, the tube is gone. The spot was probably an imperfection in the glass that didn't play well with the high voltage and burned through the inner tube, ruining the laser chamber. This happened to me, although I didn't notice anything before the problem, but mine lasted about 30 minutes as well.

If the problem is exactly like mine, then you might see some glow on the outer chamber and realize that the looping tube is to make the gas entrance to the inner laser chamber longer than the straight path. Path of least resistance for the electricity.

I would imagine they will send another tube....hopefully they package better than Shenhui |(6 tubes defective or broken in shipping) Unfortunately, you'll be on the hook for some import fees again but less so if sent DHL. I ended up with a tube from Coletech after spending 100's on import fees for broken tubes....I recommend their packaging....foam on the inside around the tube, foam on the outside of the box too! Good luck, I don't wish my experience on anyone!
    Thanks gfacer. I can now 100% confirm that the tube is defective. I tried to run one more job so I could video it for Thunderlaser to speed up the replacement and the black spot grew bigger. It's just pulsing at one end, it cannot complete the connection to the other end of the tube. Just like you said, you're spot on.

Nolan this is very upsetting since I was told by Thunderlaser that the entire laser and tube was tested at the thunder laser facility prior to shipping. That's why I paid more for the thunder laser than I could have paid to the competition, for a higher quality, tested machine. I ran the tube for less than 30 minutes. Thunderlaser should have caught that black spot (that I noticed on arrival) in their quality control and realized the tube was bad. I have many jobs waiting waiting on this laser that will cost me a lot of money if I do not get a replacement asap. I hope you guys will make this bad situation that could have been prevented right by sending a replacement via air. I await your reply, thank you.

Last edited by KeithOKC; 10-09-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nolan,

I do not think a trade for an EFR tube to an inferior and cheaper SPT tube with a shorter life span is an equal trade. This should have been caught by your factory prior to shipping. You say you test the tubes before shipping, it should have never have made it out of the door in this condition. I will contact you via email. Hopefully you will make this right.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am eagerly watching this thread along with many others.
    I hope it ends with a positive outcome.
    Reputation is everything.

Gozzie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast